1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best alternative to 37pf9830

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by philr40, Sep 3, 2005.

1. philr40

philr40
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Like a lot of other people here, I have been waiting for Philips to release their 9830 models based on the impressive spec and new technologies announced at CES earlier in the year, only to now find out that many of the new features (such as ClearLCD) have been dropped and that the UK is getting the hideous black styling of its predecessor (9986) instead of the attractive new silver styling of the US model. :thumbsdow

I have therefore crossed-off the 9830 from my Christmas list (never trust Philips BS again), and need to look for an alternative high-end LCD.

Can anyone recomend a new or soon-to-be-released 37" LCD with HDMI and component video in a similar price range to the Philips (£2,500- £3,000).

Thanks

2. gareth78

gareth78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Toshiba have a new 37" panel arriving some time this month 37WLT58. 2 x hdmi, component,3 x scart, it about on the web for £1700 - 1800.

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Defiantly the JVC

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    isn't it just a wee bit strange to cross the philips off your list for not having a particular technology, then look for something else which still won't have that technology?

5. FreeviewFan

FreeviewFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't mind something a little bigger, Sony will be launching 40" versions of their S- and V-series models fairly soon, though out of these two only the V-series has the WEGA Engine picture enhancement system. The S-series has a predominantly silver casing whilst the V-series has a black surround.

6. tont

tont
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For Standard definition TV signals alternative is Philips 37PF9986 or LOEWE or Sony top models because they using some electronics from Philips. Not PP2, it is only cream on the cake with very good input signals, but Falconic and so on.
    For both SD and HDTV there are no alternatives to 37PF9830.

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    There are plenty alternatives to Philips, the latest screens from Sharp, Sony and JVC to name a few. Although some may may be blinded by the hype, Philips isn't the be all and end all of LCD technology you know.

8. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    no but it's very close.i think this philips will be something special.the 9986 trounced the opposition and the 9830 will do the same.

9. JinZa

JinZa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although maybe not the same quality the Benq DV3750 is maybe an option. Also has native 1920x1080 resolution and that for a very low price!

Still waiting for (user) reviews though...

10. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Got to say I agree with you on the styling. I didn't like the look of the previous model.

As to the technology I am pretty sure when Clear LCD was mentioned it was only due to debut on the 32 inch and was not going to be on the 37 inch 9830. So if I am correct the features have not been dropped.

However despite the lack of clear LCD the 37 inch 9830 still looks to out-spec the opposition as it is one of the few 1920x1080 displays.

If you can't live with the stlying fair enough, but the Philipos could still be the best on the market when it arrives so it would seem silly to dismiss it for not having some technology (I don't think it was ever going to have) no one else has when its spec is still superior.

Dave

11. freekbear

freekbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Consider the LG 37LP1D, DVI, HDMI, 1200:1 contrast ratio, design awards, etc etc.

12. djmuk100

djmuk100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with the comments made on the Philips, I bought a 9986 and Philips gave me my money back under the Sale of Goods act when it did not do what it stated on the spec sheets off the internet.

Now the 9830 is out, and I looked at the new spec sheets I took my kit to the shop and tried it out. Yet again it does not do what it is supposed to (lots of ppl on here are also having the same problem whereby dvi to dvi 1366 x 768 is not possible, as far as I have read, the only way others have made this work is using vga to dvi)

I emailed Philips asking what Graphics card they tested this with as I could not get 1366 x 768 and after waiting 5 days the answer back was as follows:

"the resolution you are after is possible"

What a complete bunch of A55oles.

I am now off to buy a set from another manufacturer as I am also fed up with the BS from Philips. Sony V series looks good (although their support is no better at least is does what it says on the tin!).

13. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    JVC 37DS6 - I have seen it briefly in the flesh (spent more time with the 32 inch version) - it is on my shortlist along with the Toshiba 37WLT58 and the Samsung LE40M61 (although this one isn't even released yet)

14. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    THere is a JVC 37M6 out this month, i believe. THe same as the DS6 but quicker response time.

15. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    LCD is so fast moving at the moment... I am surprised they need to release a model with better response... the DS6 is already 12ms.... mind you... what type of LCD screen is it? TN-TFT, IPS??? That has some bearing on the true response times - or so I have read.

16. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    GaryB is your man as he is testing it. I suspect it will be the same as the DS, but with a super fast drive circuit.

17. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Cheers Scrapbook :)