1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best all-in-one available right now?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ParmMann, Jan 7, 2005.

1. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'm on the verge of ordering my all in one system tomorrow. Its going to be hooked up to a Pioneer PDP505XDE Plasma screen, and Sky+.

After reading so much about it on the forums, I'm pretty much certain to order the Denon DHT550SD.

However, is the Denon actually the best thing out there right now, or is it the best value item?

I don't mind spending a couple more hundred, not too much to merit going with seperates, but anything < £1000 should be fine.

My only doubts about the Denon is a bit of a silly one, looks. The room it'll be in isn't really suited to it. I'd much rather have black or silver speakers. The speakers will be in each corner of the room pretty isolated, and the Denon's just look so small. The taller standing Sony ones would 'look' a lot better.
    Silly I know, the system is all about sound, but looks can't be thrown completely out the window.

Thus, is there an all-in-one system, even if its more expensive, that is actually better than the DHT550SD?

Thanks,
    Parm

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    According to reviews I have read I would say the Denon 500 is the best all in one system on the market at the moment.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I understand ParmMann.

The Denon systems are absolutely fantastic, but their small satellite speakers are a bit off-putting. The DHT500 mentioned above is superb (I have one) but I suspect, according to your description, that this units speakers will be too small for your room. (The sound from the speakers belies their size, by the way.)

It would have been a good idea, I think, if Denon had marketed the DHT550 with a larger version of these speakers - something that could have been stand mounted and not look rediculous.

Here's an idea....Get the DHT500 system. Loads of power - 6 x 100watts. Replace the two front surround speakers with two sexy floor standers for £100 - £200. Keep the spare satellite speakers and use them with a separate power amp as your new back effect speakers to give you a well balanced 7.1 system...Awesome. (The DHT500 is a 7.1 system). This would work like a dream well within your budget.

£400 (DHT500) + £200 (Floor Standers) + £150ish (Power Amp)

This could be done cheaper, but would be nice!

Jimmy