What is the best 1080p Short Throw Projector ?

hickmeister

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be shortly buying myself a projector that needs to throw 3 Meters, what is currently the best Short Throw 1080p projector for this type of distance ??

I have measured from where the screen will be to where the front of the projector will be and that measurement is 305cm

Cheers All :smashin:

If you are saying you want a 3mtr wide image from 3.05mtrs distance I don't think there is one with that short a throw(1080p).

Panasonic,samsung or epson will be the biggest. Look on the projector point website for a calculator on each model.

Dont forget it is from the front of the lense.

The best i have found at the moment for the price is the Optoma HD20...

kbfern i noticed you have the Optoma HD20, what do you think of it??

I think you was a bit mistaken as well i dont want a 3m wide image, the distance between the screen and projector lens will be 3.05m.....sorry if i confused you

Last edited:
The only short throw PJ you can have which can project a 3m diagonal image is the Optoma HD8600 with a Short throw lens option

You can get a 3m diagonal image from just 2 m or so. But it will be > £3400 i guess and it is a fixed length lens with no zoom or adjustments.

For budget, Epson LCDs will give you a bigger picture from short throw. HD20 can project a large imgae from short distance but cannot do 3m image from 3m distance.

I am very happy with it having had it for around 4 months now.It is much better than my previous 720p projector.

For the money there is none better bearing in mind it is £900 and if you are not fussed with having a 1yr warranty and black case you could get a 200x for £799 and I think with a free 84" diagonal manual screen at the moment.

If you go up to £1000 there are others from Vivitek and BenQ and Epson but they are all roughly the same they all have +/- points over each other.

Up again to £1200 approx you have the Mits HC3800 which may offer slightly better picture but has other issues.

So I am happy I have the HD20 an absolute gem for the money with a gob smacking picture too boot.

There is another member on here that got one of the JVC 350's at £2300 as they were being discontinued around Sept/Oct.

I took my HD20 round his place for a shoot out and whilst the JVC was better (blacks in particular) he was so impressed he sold the JVC on the classifieds for £2100 and bought a HD20.

He put the £1200 he saved back in his pocket as he could not see £1200 worth of difference.I think that says it all,there is better out there but how much more do you need to spend.:thumbsup:

If you are in the midlands area you are welcome to come and have a demo.

I dont want a 3m wide image, the distance between the screen and projector lens will be 3.05m thats all.....sorry if i confused you all.....

I am aware that with 86 inch diagonal screen, i will get a 2m wide image. I was just trying to see what the best projector would be to do this. I have checked the Optoma Calc and Projector Central Calc and that can go down to 2.86m

It's all very confusing.....:confused:....lol....i think i am getting there though

I would go for the HD20 over the HD200 if it can be bought for £850. That extra £50 is worth it for the extra warranty and piece of mind in case something went wrong. I have seen three PJ's go back to the manufacturer/retailer recently (my HD200, HD800 and BenQ W100). Luckily, the W100 was a few days from the end of a 3yr warranty. The HD800 was also in the first year. My HD200 went back to the retailer but was returned stating nothing wrong with it but that was not right.

Oh it becomes clearer now, you only need to have the pj at 3mtrs from the screen:).

In that case get the HD20/200x as for the money you won't do any better.:thumbsup:

You will easily fill a 2mtr wide screen from that distance.I have a 2.5mtr wide screen and project from around 3.4m lens to screen.

Another vote for the HD200x, I project to a 84" screen from 275 cm and it just about fills the whole screen, that's at "max zoom" with the lens (as in you can only make the image smaller at this point, sorry for the non technical speak lol)

I bought one from Dabs on new years eve for £766 (just before the VAT went back up) with the 84" screen bundle and so far I've been really pleased with it. If you haven't already read all about that projector here's a good thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/proj...hd20-200x-reviews-settings-owners-thread.html

Another vote for the HD200x, I project to a 84" screen from 275 cm and it just about fills the whole screen, that's at "max zoom" with the lens (as in you can only make the image smaller at this point, sorry for the non technical speak lol)

I bought one from Dabs on new years eve for £766 (just before the VAT went back up) with the 84" screen bundle and so far I've been really pleased with it. If you haven't already read all about that projector here's a good thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/proj...hd20-200x-reviews-settings-owners-thread.html

My Epson 2900 throws 3.15m onto a 106" screen. Just.

Thanks to you all for your comments....it looks like the HD20 is the way to go then....... :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom