What is the advantage of having a 1366 x 768 resolution....

Batch

Prominent Member
Reaction score
University: Lancaster, Home: Cambridgeshire
....on a TV which can only support Standard Definition?

Thanks

Batch

Batch said:

Thanks

Batch
What do you mean about only being able to support SD. Most LCDs with this resolution should come with a component input which will allow them to receive some of of HD picture, whether that is via Sky or games console etc. This may not be strictly "HD Ready" but it's only the lack of a digital input that it misses out on being labelled as such.

If, on the the other hand it doesn't come with a component input and won't be able to recieve HD at all in any form then IMO there's no advantage over a screen that would more closely match a SD resolution broadcast.

Thanks, but what exactly does the 'digital input' do?

Batch

The Digital Inputs on LCD TVs are either HDMI or DVI. In order for the TV to be 'HD Ready' the digital inputs need HDCP (As well as a couple of other things) which is a kind of copyright. HDMI has HDCP as standard but DVI can be with or without HDCP.

Richie.

so if my TV has a resolution of 1366 x 768 and has component inputs, will i beable to play the xbox 360 at 720p on it - even if the tv is not HD-Ready?

Thanks

Batch

Batch is right, some TVs DO have panels of that size but only support Standard Def via the inputs.

What is the advantage of having a 1366 x 768 resolution....
None whatsoever. Any set that has this demonstrates shockingly bad planning by the manufacturer. It'll be uncommon now, but a lot of it probably has to do with sets that were Component-equipped being brought over to Europe and having their Component inputs replaced with RGB SCART ones.

Lyris said:
Batch is right, some TVs DO have panels of that size but only support Standard Def via the inputs
Nobody said otherwise.

I know, I wasn't suggesting anyone had.

my tosh 26/wl/ 46
supports 1080i via component inputs.
I think it is 1366 x768
does this make it sky hd compatible or will it only recieve half the programming
ie if movies are broadcast in 720p will the sky box scale to 1080i on the component output.

Batch said:
so if my TV has a resolution of 1366 x 768 and has component inputs, will i beable to play the xbox 360 at 720p on it - even if the tv is not HD-Ready?

Thanks

Batch
On most cases yes.HD-ready applies to the tv having an HDMI input or a HDCP-DVI input but the xbox360 won't use either of those,it will only use component(or a VGA cable) for its high-def signal.

90% of newer LCDs will provide an 720p image through component so you will be fine for playing high-res xbox360 games.You should check out if the model you are about to buy will provide high-def signals via component.It's not that difficult to find that out,that's what the internet is for :hiya:

Lyris said:
I know, I wasn't suggesting anyone had.
No probs, you're emphasis on the word DO sounded like you thought some of didn't believe him.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom