1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is that?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GeorgePk, Mar 21, 2005.

1. GeorgePk

GeorgePk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This is the response you get in my country for asking about High Definition Plasmas. The poor guy in the store had the Pio 435XDE next to him and still gave me the blank face at my question. :suicide:
    Anyhow in Cyprus we mostly get over the air signals with two other options.

One is called Multichoice which is a local pay broadcaster who uses sattelite signal with a humax receiver and they as well have no clue what HD is. :suicide:

The other one is called Nova through satelite based in Greece again using a simple receiver to get the signal. I have e-mailed them a few weeks ago asking about HD but yet no response. :suicide:

It seems that HD will take more than a decate to arrive here but I wanted to ask you guys since you have a lot of experience. Would it be better (PQ wise)to go with an HD panel than SD despite having only SD signals?

2. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you want it just for SD TV, then stick to an SD plasma.
    If you will use it a lot for your PC, or intend to feed high-def material to the plasma then it may be worth considering the extra expense, but only you can make that choice. Don't forget blue-ray and HD-DVD will be available in the not too distant future, if you intend keeping your purchase for a number of years, this could be wrth considering as well.

3. GeorgePk

GeorgePk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeap this purchase will be kept for some years however I just wanted to know whether an HD plasma displaying sd signal will have better PQ than an SD plasma displaying the same signal.
    Anyone with such experience?

4. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    This is so funny coz when I d start reading your post about no one in your country has an idea what HD is,
    I was planning to make a joke, by asking you if you live in Cyprus.
    You see I live in Cyprus and this is the response I get from dealers. :)
    Then in the next paragraph I saw that you actually LIVE in Cyprus. :eek:

Are you a Cypriot or emigrant?
    If you are a Cypriot we may change the language coz i find it very difficult in English.

And now the answer on your question.
    I have the pio 435hde and I m very pleased with nova(Greece)PQ.
    435 is an amazing overall screen but SD panels as far as I know, perform better on sd material.(Without actually seeing such a big difference on sd pannys).
    You can demo them at malloupas in Nicosia.
    They have Pio and panny side by side.
    See them and then choose what looks best for you.
    I ve emailed nova too one month ago, asking them if they have plans for HD
    and I haven t got any response either.

They are just too lame. :thumbsdow

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227

Yes, got that experience here. HD panel displaying SD material is noticeably better. :D :D

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    OH yes... HD panels are definitely better with SD materials.... and the Pioneer are top performers .... and perfect with some calibration from Piers.

I live in the UK but I come from Greece and watch Nova on my Pio 434 plasma. I am working in the semiconductor insdustry and based on broadcasters future equipment requests it seems that Nova would introduce HD programs within 2008 if not earlier. Under the current set up they have variable quality channels based on the various bandwidths and resolutions used. Some channels are as good or better than Sky, some others extremely bad. And the plasma by its nature shows you exactly that.... very good with a good source .... bad with a bad one.

7. GeorgePk

GeorgePk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hEY Leerock. Hi there. Ti kaneis?
    Born in Nicosia and I've been here all my life. You?

I 'll stick on english lang respectiing people around and I'll send you an e-mail later on.
    Now as far as the 435 local stores are toooooooo expensive 2799 CYP. Anyway since I found this forum and read all the nice debates I am now towards a Pany. I will be tracking the launch of the HD PV500 but also watching prices on the SD models.

Where did you see the Pio - Pany next too each other? Which of the malloupas store? Do you remember?

8. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gia sou giorko.
    to katastima tou mallouppa einai
    pou ta fwta tou apoel pros tin odo kennedy 77,
    terma tou dromou aristera tzi e na to deis sta aristera sou meta tin pezina.
    Exei tzi ena paidi tziame pou katexei polla parapanw pramata ap oti katexoun oi parapanw pwlites stin kypro.
    nomizw tziame exoun tin 2700 me wall bracket kai speakers.
    Egw omws me kapoia "mesa" pou exw, epiasa tin 2150 pou allou.