• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What is that 'pinging' sound?

zarathrustra

Hi everyone,

This is probably a naive question, but I have noticed that every so often, my Ipad 2 makes a pinging sound when not in use. I always try and turn off my ipad with the side switch and have a cover which also supposedly switches it off. So what is that pinging sound?

zarathrustra

Thanks Paul, much appreciated.

I feel a little foolish now for asking such a question and not realising what now seems to be so obvious.

This is one of the many great strengths of AVforums, in that both questions with simple answers and also very complicated and technical questions can receive very helpful replies.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
It might be the iPad sending it's current location together with a photo of the room it's currently being held in back to Apple ;)

zarathrustra

It might be the iPad sending it's current location together with a photo of the room it's currently being held in back to Apple ;)

When I read this yesterday, I immediately decided to tidy up my room, as I wouldn't want any one else to see what a state it is in. Then I thought of a great solution. I covered up the two cameras with black tape.

gkpm

Haha you think Apple would make their cameras so obvious that you could tape them up. Of course the ping is iPad's sonar system at work, they map out the room by analysing the echo return sound of the ping just like a submarine, or bat.

Why do you think they don't put in a setting to pick out a different sound?

ps - Just kidding of course. Thought I'd add this otherwise it may show up as tomorrow's headline news.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom