What is that on the Samsung LCD TV?

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Csäku, Sep 9, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Csäku

Csäku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everybody!
    This is my first thread/post on this forum.I would like to buy an LCD TV but dont want to jump in the middle of purchase.I am now collecting informations/opinions from owners,etc...
    My favourite brand is Sony,but its too expensive for me.A few reasons why i decided to choose a Samsung product:
    1, design (very stylish)
    2, one of the market leading brands
    3, i am a Samsung employee,and there is a special extra discount of products for employees so i can get the TV much more cheaper.

I am very new to LCD TVs so i dont know the most common problems they have and this is the reason i am asking you.
    yesterday i took some shots of Alien vs Predator (DVD video) on a Samsung LE40M73BDX (dont say me its too old model and that i have to choose the newest M or F series because i know it,this is just an example). The movie was fed from a Samsung Home theatre player through HDMI.i noticed a very strong effect in the picture.it seems that it is destroying the overall image quality and i see it even if i watch it from distant place.the effect can be seen especially in darker scenes.i didnt done any calibration/setting on the set but i am afraid this is a common problem of LCD TVs nowaday(seen many TVs in shops and noticed the same).
    So the question i have that what is that effect called and how common is it,or its just about the DVD film quality?
    the pictures are attached!
    Does the M86 or F series have this issue?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Csäku

Csäku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, i searched the web a little bit and now i think this might be about the shadow detail? what i saw and what can be seen on the photos is the poor shadow detail?
    Please correct me if i am wrong!
    Is this problem present in the newer F86 series?
    Thanks!

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    I don't know about others, but my RealPlayer installation won't play your file. Sorry.

4. Goaty

Goaty
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would Real Player open it?

He's compressed into a .rar file - it's similar to zipping it

It expands into 4 jpegs.

Download an unstuffer here.

5. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    Aha...my mistake then. It's a default file association and I didn't recognise the extension.

That looks to me like some signal leakage - for example, it's the output from the tuner in the TV crosstalking with the AV input coming in from the DVD.

It's not what's usually meant by "Shadow Detail" (which is where something that should be {not quite but nearly black} is too dark, and becomes exactly the same as true {black} hence, loss of shadow detail - loss of detail in dark/shadowy areas of the image).

6. Csäku

Csäku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmm,your answer sounds for me a little bit strange...
    Then if it isnt about panel or processing then you say it is not present on M86 and F86 series and i should not worry about it?

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    If it is what I suspect it is, then it may be present on any set - depending on where the source of the problem is.