1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is SRS TruSurround?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by d.boyd1uk, Jul 28, 2002.

1. d.boyd1uk

d.boyd1uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pioneer 444k DVD player, it has capabilities of SRS TruSurround, how does this work?

also why i am here, what is the reason for shielded speakers, would my hi-fi speakers be shielded or is it just for centre speakers.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    SRS Truesound is supposed to make surround sound from only two speakers. Most people don't like it.

The magnets in speakers will interfere with the colour in a TV if placed too close. That's why speakers made specifically to go near a TV are magnetically shielded.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know, it works by shifting some frequencies within the soundtrack so that certain sounds (usually higher pitched ones such as birds singing, but also distant shouts, etc) sound as if they are coming from the further extremes within a wider soundstage. You'll also find it used in Windows Media Player. :)

As Ian said, lots of people don't like it. I have Virtual Dolby on my TV and several Sony surround options on my DVD player. There are many cases where use of these causes distortion, e.g. muffled dialogue, "warped" bass drums, etc. So sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. You have to experiment, usually you can set different strengths. However, if you have an AV receiver, then you don't need it.

http://www.srslabs.com/ConsumerTechMultichannel.asp

If it's not an AV hi-fi (i.e. only 2 speakers), then I doubt it... but you never know ;) If it is an AV hi-fi, then probably... but you never know - nothing surprises me anymore regarding side effects of cost-cutting ;)