1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Sony playing at???

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by the_pauley, Apr 30, 2005.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Just bought the new Springsteen CD. It comes packaged with a DVD that includes among a few promo videos, etc, a DVD-A mix of the album.

Didn't Sony invent something called SACD? What gives? :confused:

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Im pretty sure sony decided to drop SACD in order to focus on Blu Ray (which has also been droped!).
    Still doesnt explain why they would support DVD-A so suddenly.

3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    BluRay dropped ?? Did I miss something again!?!

4. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
  5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Sorry - correction to my original post. Played the DVD and it is not DVD-A, just a DVD Video 5.1 mix of the album. Nowhere near the quality of the CD sound so what was the point of that? Can't understand why this isn't an SACD release - this is one of their major acts.

6. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Pauley

Bundling a DVD-V with a CD is becoming more common now. The DVD's are usually a few promo vids and the EPK. Another way to get an album into the charts quickly ;)

I'm surprised that Born To Run has never made it onto SACD. I'm not the biggest fan of the Boss, I prefer his first few albums and also Tunnel of Love and The Ghost of Tom Joad.

7. mad max 3

mad max 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up the Springsteen CD the other day and was well pleased with what I got. No only a CD but a DVD with 30 mins of live music and the complete album in DD5.1. Now I think thats a great freebie to get with your new CD.

I have never heard any music on SACD so I can't judge it, but I think the 5.1 on the Springsteen DVD isn't that bad. I had hoped it would be better but the whole album is nearly acoustic, so it doesn't really need the use of all speakers.

All said, I don't think I'll just be running out yet to buy an album in DD5.1.

8. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Sony are just following the trend of the moment which is if you bundle a CD with a DVD it is another incentive to buy their product!
    I too would far rather see more SACD & DVD-A releases but the majority of customers wouldn't "get" SACD or DVD-A as it is still very much a niche market for people like us!
    Just my opinion of course ... Paul ;)

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Thing is though if instead of the CD that package contained an SACD, then it would play on ordinary CD players as well, so the enthusiasts would benefit and Joe & Josephine public would still have a playable CD layer and be none the wiser.

For example I know several people who had bought the Dylan and Stones SACD re-issues, and had been quite happily enjoying the superb sounding remastered CD layer unaware that they had bought an SACD until I pointed it out to them.

DVD-A of course is not compatible in the same way, but for the life of me if they are interested in promoting the SACD format then Sony and Universal should be releasing everything as a Hybrid SACD. What strikes me as really bizarre is when they do release a title in Hybrid SACD, they go to the totally unnecessary trouble and expense of having a separate CD release as well.

Why? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The companies have really screwed up on the marketing of this format.

10. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0