What is RS 232 for on sky + panel?

Widescreenx

Standard Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to link up my new tv with sky plus scart s video or
do I use this rs 232 link? sorry for ignorance but is it a visual conection

The RS232 is used for factory testing, it has no use for normal every day domestic viewing. It is possible to access some functionality (channel changing) via an suitable lead and a PC running the right software.

RGB scart should be your first choice for connecting a TV to the SKY+ TV scart. Making sure that RGB is selected in the menu and the scart goes into a RGB socket on the telly.

HMM full dork this time. never select pal if you have rgb as an option any decent tv will show the difference. look at the epg for example pal wil have lots of jiggly edges RGB will be crisp and well defined but NOT soft

Not necessarily, on my Hitachi plasma RGB wins by a mile but on a 17in Phillips LCD for some reason PAL looks much better...

John

derbyjj said:
HMM full dork this time. never select pal if you have rgb as an option any decent tv will show the difference. look at the epg for example pal wil have lots of jiggly edges RGB will be crisp and well defined but NOT soft

Really? I didn't know that. I'm a dork remember. :rolleyes:

As johndon agrees, it's down to personal preference. PAL suits some sets better than RGB. Fact. And I think I've a little more experience than you.

Widescreenx - try both and see what you prefer. Nice to have a choice innit? :D

A. Dork

Well done Arthur. Nice to see that we have a few contributors who speak from experience, and don't just repeat stuff that they've read elsewhere "parrot fashion". I have seen some excellent PAL pictures and some pretty naff RGB pictures in my 30-odd years of working with and playing with TV and satellite.

i have a normal cathode ray tv and an LCD rear projector and RGB is noticably better on both of them than the PAL

Nick_UK said:
Well done Arthur. Nice to see that we have a few contributors who speak from experience, and don't just repeat stuff that they've read elsewhere "parrot fashion". I have seen some excellent PAL pictures and some pretty naff RGB pictures in my 30-odd years of working with and playing with TV and satellite.

Cheers Nick.

It's obvious to us both there are some very experienced contibutors on these forums. Unfortunately, they are few and far between.

When we do offer our (free) advice from years of experience in the trade it's usually dismissed or hi-jacked by amateurs with none. It's rare to be thanked for your input, don't you find?

On the whole, AV Forums is full of mis-information, gossip, rumours and total cr*p. Why do you think the manufacturer's won't get involved?

A. Dork

Arthur Dork said:
When we do offer our (free) advice from years of experience in the trade it's usually dismissed or hi-jacked by amateurs with none. It's rare to be thanked for your input, don't you find?

A. Dork

See what I mean?

Widescreenx - you're welcome. :rolleyes:

derbyjj - ****** :devil:

A. Dork :devil:

If the PAL picture looks better than the RGB one then there's something wrong with the system somewhere.

bobcar said:
If the PAL picture looks better than the RGB one then there's something wrong with the system somewhere.

Not necessarily. It might just mean that sufficient money has been put into the filtering of the chrominance sub-carrier signal. That's what causes the herring-bone effect. Cheap filters are often too "broad" to accurately notch the carrier out.

In the majority of cases, an RGB feed will be better than PAL, but that doesn't mean that it's set in stone. It's all down to the design of the circuitry in that particular screen. Most professional PAL monitors and many high-end TV's will give a PAL picture which is as good as RGB. It's in the cheaper sets that you will see more of an improvement with RGB.

bobcar said:

I preferred PAL feeding my SONY RPTV (s-video for the DVD source) it gave a smoother more pleasent picture but there is no contest with my LCD, RGB without a doubt.
As with any advice you can take it on board but at the end of the day the resulting picture which looks best to you regardless of how you get there is the one to use:)

Nick_UK said:
Not necessarily. It might just mean that sufficient money has been put into the filtering of the chrominance sub-carrier signal. That's what causes the herring-bone effect. Cheap filters are often too "broad" to accurately notch the carrier out.

In the majority of cases, an RGB feed will be better than PAL, but that doesn't mean that it's set in stone. It's all down to the design of the circuitry in that particular screen. Most professional PAL monitors and many high-end TV's will give a PAL picture which is as good as RGB. It's in the cheaper sets that you will see more of an improvement with RGB.

Yes but if the PAL is better than the RGB then there's a problem with the RGB somewhere. It may be a design fault or the cabling or something else but there is a problem.

bobcar said:
Yes but if the PAL is better than the RGB then there's a problem with the RGB somewhere. It may be a design fault or the cabling or something else but there is a problem.

Did I, Nick_UK or Starburst say the PAL output was better than the RGB output? :confused: Er, no. :rolleyes:

What I said was some may prefer the picture on the PAL setting. It's down to personal prefence.

I have seen many installations where the end user preferred the picture when set to PAL rather than RGB. And there were no problems with the cabling nor was there a design fault with the equipment.

Once again - Widescreenx - you're welcome. :devil:

Arthur Dork said:

Nick_UK said:
Nice to see that we have a few contributors who speak from experience, and don't just repeat stuff that they've read elsewhere "parrot fashion".

A.Dork

Oh no it isn't......

bobcar said:

..... or maybe it's just a quality TV ? Have you ever seen a PAL picture displayed on a properly set-up professional monitor ?

As I said before, it's on the cheaper displays that you will see a marked difference between a PAL and RGB picture, because that's where the corners will have been cut in the PAL decoder (cheap chroma filters, etc).

Nick_UK said:
..... or maybe it's just a quality TV ? Have you ever seen a PAL picture displayed on a properly set-up professional monitor ?

As I said before, it's on the cheaper displays that you will see a marked difference between a PAL and RGB picture, because that's where the corners will have been cut in the PAL decoder (cheap chroma filters, etc).

Yes but the best that will do is let the PAL be as good as the RGB not better. On most TVs even expensive ones (not professional monitors which most people don't have) RGB will be markedly better.

bobcar said:
Yes but the best that will do is let the PAL be as good as the RGB not better.

PAL is only RGB encoded into a composite signal. It can only be better if the circuitry used in the RGB side is inferior.

You sure like going round in circles, don't you ?

Nick_UK said:
PAL is only RGB encoded into a composite signal. It can only be better if the circuitry used in the RGB side is inferior.

You sure like going round in circles, don't you ?

My original point was that if PAL gives a better picture than RGB then something is wrong with the RGB whether design or installation. You don't appear to disagree with this but just keep pointing out that PAL can be good with good (expensive) design, I've never disputed this.

Seems a pretty fixed position to me.

Personal preference is very dangerous as often people dont know what a good picture is until they see one, there are a few implementations where RGB looks worse than PAL (panasonic PD30 CRT sets where they buggered up RGB processing) but in thses rare cases S-video which is available from Sky+ STB is far superior to both RGB and PAL (I am talking about PACE boxes not Amstrad/Samsung)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom