What is required for Freesat?

animalmagic

Standard Member
Reaction score
We live in an apartment with a digital satellite feed. I'm thinking in terms of getting a box so we can view the extra channels on freesat - not interested in a subscription. I have read prior postings, but am finding it hard to decide exactly what is needed. So what is the recommended 'best box'?

Appreciate any info...

We live in an apartment with a digital satellite feed. I'm thinking in terms of getting a box so we can view the extra channels on freesat - not interested in a subscription. I have read prior postings, but am finding it hard to decide exactly what is needed. So what is the recommended 'best box'?

Appreciate any info...

If you mean Freesatfromsky then you need any standard digibox (upto £130) and a freesat smartcard (£20) or buy as a bundle from a dealer for £150 and this setup provides the FTA channels and the FTV (Ch4, Five and SKY3).

Just get a second hand sky box for about £30 of like ebay the pace boxes will give you a load of channels free anyway but to get some extras pay £20 for freesat card.

Thanks for the replys and links. I was really looking for recommendations of specific boxes or retailers who are helpful.

Discovered the Toppy which looked interesting. Anyone have experience of these as a satellite receiver?

Discovered the Toppy which looked interesting. Anyone have experience of these as a satellite receiver?

It isn't a satellite receiver...it's a digibox for reception of DVB Freeview...not Freesat.

It isn't a satellite receiver...it's a digibox for reception of DVB Freeview...not Freesat.

The 5800 Toppy is freeview but Topfield also make satellite receivers, is this what the OP means ?

Yes, the satellite ones...

Well if the 5800 is anything to go by then the satellite ones should be great too, although I have no personal experience of them I am sure someone here will have. As for a helpful retailer then for the Toppy range its a no brainer, has to be Turbosat.

Yes, the satellite ones...

No Ch4/E4/More4, Five and SKY3 as they are FTV channels at this time and require a smartcard which the Toppy doesn't support without making use of a certain type of CAM and genuine Freesat smartcard plus digibox to keep it upto date.

The CH4 family of channels are expected to go FTA in 2008.

No Ch4/E4/More4, Five and SKY3 as they are FTV channels at this time and require a smartcard which the Toppy doesn't support without making use of a certain type of CAM and genuine Freesat smartcard plus digibox to keep it upto date.

The CH4 family of channels are expected to go FTA in 2008.

:eek: I never knew that. Are these channels available with a Sky HD box and a Freesat subscription ?. Only this is a possible route for me too in the future.

:eek: I never knew that. Are these channels available with a Sky HD box and a Freesat subscription ?. Only this is a possible route for me too in the future.

The freesatfrom sky smartcard decrypts the FTV channels and can be used in any of the SKY set top boxes including the SKY+ HD.
The BBC/ITV backed Freesat is expected to appear sometime in 2007 but right now that won't allow viewing of the said channels since they are encrypted, the hope is that once a Dsat version of Freeview (Full EPG and DVR options) exists than CH4 will join up and Five will have no choice but to follow.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom