1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is referance master volume level with dvd calibration dvd

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mick23, Feb 5, 2004.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all recieved digital vidio essentials dvd yesterday pal vertion region 0,

after wading through the numerous tracks/chapters there is info on test tone setup, but dvd states set amps master volune to (REFERANCE LEVEL) in the hk507 manual it states set to -15db for the spl -75db set up,

i was going to try dve with 3802 ,denons manual does not gives a master volume referance level as a starting point.

should i just set master volume to normaly listening level then adjust?????
    there are lots of test tones on dve i do not want to risk ding any damage to speakers etc.

thank you

2. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should calibrate at the sound level you are most likely to use - for cinemas this is supposed to be 80dB (so I go for this) but a lot of people like it a bit quieter in their livingroom and go for 70dB.

If you calibrate at one volume it does not mean it's calibrated for another volume.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    The master reference level on the Denon is 0db on the volume display. Set it to that then play the test tones from the DVE disc and balance all the channels to 75db with a sound meter.

Playback at 0db will then equate to reference level but you'll find a lot people play back at lower volumes like -10db, -15db. They refer to this as 10db below reference, 15db below reference etc etc.