What is quality of Panasonic PW6 like used as PC monitor?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Cheekster, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Cheekster

Cheekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Strongly considering purchasing a Panasonic TH42PWD6BX and using it primarily for surfing the net plus possibly using a XBOX (running Media Centre interface) connected to it.

Any PW6 owners out there who have used it with a PC/laptop connected? What's the sharpness of text etc and is there a danger of screen burn?

Many thanks.

Cheekster.

2. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,895
    Tonight, set your PC monitor to 640x480 and see how you like surfing, wordprocessing, multi-windows etc. I'm putting money on you not liking it.

The pany will be worse than this because the screen will be that much bigger thus emphasising how chunky your display is.

For PC use, you need a display that will do 1024 x 768 as a minimum.

Cheers,

Nigel

3. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    It's not great due to being 540x852, and really has to be used at 600x800 to work at all.

4. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I occasionally feed my PC through my Panasonic TH42PW4, whilst I would not recommend it as a sole monitor substitute, the text is quite easy to read from about 3 metres distance, and the pictures look very good indeed. If you set your screensaver to come on after about five minutes of inactivity, I would not think that screen burn would be a problem

5. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a panny with a native res of something like 852x480

In 640x480 (or better still a res of 852x480) is looks fantastic but as others have pointed out the amount of screenspace you get is minimal. You can help things by setting custom (small) font sizes etc. I actually use mine like this normally for running winamp and the odd bit of web surfing (not so bad when you press F11 to get a full-screen browser window).

800x600 is good but not "as good" as above - still quite usable though - I use this whenever I need to do a lot of surfing or using certain apps.

1024x768 is o.k - still mostly usable but just gets slightly worse the higher res you go.

If you want to do a lot of normal PC stuff I would get a display with a higher res. If you want some sort of media controller with the odd bit of "normal" PC stuff I would say the panny would be fine.

With Powerstrip or standard Nvidia software you can even set up different resolutions for different apps - e.g. as soon as you run your browser the res can be set to automatically change to 800x600.

6. Cheekster

Cheekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for the replies guys. The main PC use would be internet surfing. Anything upto a maximum of 8 hrs a day.

I'd possibly wall mount it and be 1-2 meters away.

So long as the text was readable and the plasma didn't suffer from screen burn I'd probably go ahead in purchasing one?

Cheekster.