What is progressive scan?

marjrie

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am very much a novice here, have just ordered a Panasonic 42" PE50 and it comes with a es20 dvd recorder. Now I keep reading on here about progressive scan making the picture better, I have no idea what this is?
Can someone please enlighten me, and will it be possible with the TV I am buying?
Thanks.

any particular reason you bought teh PE50 and not teh PV500?

scarty16 said:
any particular reason you bought teh PE50 and not teh PV500?

Cost was one reason, does this make a difference to if I can do the progressive scan thing? :lease:

Marjrie, the screen is progressive scan anyway which means it will de-interlace any any interlaced (non progressive scan) signal that you send it so you have no need to worry.

Yeah, leave progressive scan off on the DVD player. The TV will do it automatically, and better than the DVD player could!

All you need to worry about is whether the TVs internal progressive scanner is better or worse than the one in the DVD player. Somewhere in the chain it has to happen. Basically try both, and see which you prefer!! While some say the TV is better, others would argue the DVD has the advantage since the material is processed within the digital domain. I would have thought both would be about the same as they both use Panasonic processing!!!!

Ok then Liam, what do you suggest with a 42PHD8 combined with a Denon DVD 1920 then.

Standard DVD upscaled to 720P or 1080i via the HDMI ?

Forgive me if I am wrong here, but I thought that movies were stored on dvd as a progressive signal. Therefore something like 575p24, (or whatever the number of lines a dvd picture is constructed from). I thought dvd players then had to deinterlace the picture to output 575i. If this is the case, wouldn't it be better to leave the prog option of the dvd player on?

I would avoid 1080i, too much deinterlacing cannot be good.

With 576 output the Denon does not scale at all, just the Panasonic does. With 720p both are upscaling which would theoretically introduce more noise than just one or the other doing it (with a 1280x720 projector the 720p output is basically driving the thing 1:1 and so is best, but with plasmas I doubt the point of the upscalers in these DVD players unless they start doing plasma resolutions too).

The only answer is to look for yourself and see which you prefer!

Most DVDs are stored interlaced. They can be stored progressively requiring the DVD player to interlace them for output to regular TVs, but in most cases the material is interlaced on the disc.

Not sure any of this is answering the original question! Marjrie, try googling "progresive scan vs interlacing" and it will give you an idea of the ways a tv displays an image. I remember seeing an excellent link on this forum somewhere which had some very good graphics explaining the differences. The wordy explanation was a bit scientific and went on for several pages though! If I find it, I'll post the link cos it's worth a look.

Cheers for that.

I'll play about a bit more but understand what you're getting at regarding all the extra interlacing-de-interlacing.

Initially though I'm preferring the picture from HDMI rather than component which is contrary to what a lot of the 'big boys' on the forums are saying.

I'll leave final judgement till after I get it ISF'd which won't be till SKY HD and Blu-Ray come along.

I have to say I found component a tad better with my 2910 but only after lots of tooing and froing and there wasn't much at all in it......it may even have been that i just got bored senseless fliiping between the two! :)

Peabo said:
Yeah, leave progressive scan off on the DVD player. The TV will do it automatically, and better than the DVD player could!

I'm thinking of getting a PE50 after my Tosh picture frame CRT's early demise. I've got an old Tosh DVD player, which can output Progressive only on NTSC materials.

My question is, do I need to purchase a new DVD player which can do both NTSC and PAL discs to enjoy progessive scan or would the PE50 do it anyway with my current Tosh DVD player? And would the normal broadcast be in progressive as well with PE50 compared to a CRT? Resulting in better picture?

Cheers. :)

the PE50 will deinterlace the PAL feed from your tosh dvd.

Thanks for all the replies, very usefull :thumbsup:

One more question, the plasma will be our main TV, we have NTL and the set has built in freeview, we also have an ordinary ariel on the chimney, which is really only for the bedroom tv's (kids) so they only have 5 channels.

Is there any way of them being able to watch the NTL without paying for more boxes?

Do we have get some sort of spitter then all cables to the loft, or is there a simle way?
I realise they will only be able to watch whatever channel the main NTL box is set to.
But they would be happy with that.

THanks again.

Thanks for all the replies, very usefull :thumbsup:

One more question, the plasma will be our main TV, we have NTL and the set has built in freeview, we also have an ordinary ariel on the chimney, which is really only for the bedroom tv's (kids) so they only have 5 channels.

Is there any way of them being able to watch the NTL without paying for more boxes?

Do we have get some sort of spitter then all cables to the loft, or is there a simple way?
I realise they will only be able to watch whatever channel the main NTL box is set to.
But they would be happy with that.

THanks again, for the help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom