1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Pre-Power AV???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by yatesd, Jul 8, 2002.

1. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have older Audiolab 8000S (pre-integrated amp) and 8000 P (power amp) and have always selected Pre-power as the selection on the 8000S.

However I noticed the other day that there is a setting for Pre-power AV and as I drive the front speakers in my AV setup using these amps I wondered if I should not be using this setting (no description in manuals).

Anyone any idea on what this setting is for and how it should be configured.

Thanks for any help,

Dave.

2. Brent Turner

Brent Turner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pre - Power AV sets the 8000s to run as a power amp.

You take the pre-out signal from your AV-amp and connect it to the "power amp in" sockets on the back of the 8000s. Then select the Pre-Power AV selector on the front of the Audiolab, and the signal will bi-pass the pre-amp section of the 8000s (volume control, input selector) with the volume control being handled by the AV-amp.

This is all wonderfull, since you haven't got to play around with balancing the volume settings on the 8000s with that on the AV amp.

However, there is a problem if you are using an additional power amp with the 8000s (such as your 8000p) as this is run from the Pre-Amp section on the 8000s, which you have just bi-passed. Result very quiet left and right speakers!

There is apparently a way round this if your AV-Amp has power-in sockets on it (Check the Tag forum or contact the helpdesk), otherwise, you'll need to connect the pre-outs of the AV-amp to a line input on the 8000s (say, AUX) and set the volume on the 8000s to about 12 o-clock. Remember of course to turn it down before using the 8000s in stereo!

Hope this helps. Unfortunately I found the sollution above too messy when I had the 8000s bi-amped with the 100p and connecting with my Sony AV-amp, and so I ended up taking the tird option. I bought the AV-32R!

3. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Brent,

Thanks for the great response, I have always been doing the 12 O'clock thing on the 8000S, when using a Yamaha E800 as my Av processor.

Just wondered what the option meant and whether it would be better, but sounds like hassle.

I am also in the process of thinking about that next upgrade anyway from my present system, and whether to change teh amps anyway.

What do you think of the TAG's?? I was thinking about the Arcam's with the DAVE module (or the new AV8) to match with the FM27 I just changed to recently.

Cheers,

Dave.

4. Brent Turner

Brent Turner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find the Tags simply awsome! You just have to look at the specs of the AV32R, how long it's been on the market and the fact that it is still right up there with the latest technology! That fact alone helped justify it's price (well, that and the performance in surround and stereo!) The new DACs are meant to be even better, though I've not got round to having mine upgraded yet.

I know that some people prefer to use another power amp over the 100x5r either prefering a different sound or simply to reduce cost. Rotel's and Brystons seem popular, though I have no experience of either.

The Arcams are also meant to be good, the new combo esspecially so, apparently (search some of the other posts for more info), but likewise I've not had a listen to these.

The other option along side Tag is the Meridian setup, with again sounds awsome (it was a toss up between that and the Tag for me), but I found the processor a little too inflexible for my needs. So the Tag it was, and I've not regretted it!