1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Panasonic's DVD-S75 Successor?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by The Fittest, Oct 3, 2004.

1. The Fittest

The Fittest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was planning to combine the Onkyo TX-SR501E Receiver with the Onkyo DV-SP501 DVD player, but then I read the review(s) of the Panasonic DVD-S75 DVD player on Home Cinema Choice and looked at other places for reviews and everybody seems to be very impressed by this player.

But then I saw the review here was from July 2003, and thus this player is nowhere to found anywhere... I can't figure out however which recent Panasonic DVD player is this one's successor and is of comparable quality? If anyone could make some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:

Thx in advance! :)

2. Baz1

Baz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi The Fittest,
    I am at the moment waiting the release of the Panasonic dvs97 with HDMI.
    I do not know if this is the s75 replacement, but you can get the S97 from Digital direct for 229.95, which is a good price. at the end of this month.
    Thanks,
    Barry.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
  4. The Fittest

The Fittest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked at the S97 on Panasonics website, but their specs are very limited and I would have to wait for it, and my dealer has made a pretty good deal for me on the Onkyo combo since the 501 is being replaced by a new series, this was the last set they had.

The other Panasonics (S47 and S27) each have either a component and coax output, not both like the Onkyo. Since I'll most likely also buy an LCD TV together with this system, I'm guessing a component output would be the best to have. So I'm also looking at the S27, but haven't found if it's comparable to the S75. Thx for the input!

If this is the case also here in The Netherlands, then I'll ask my dealer tomorrow if he can supply it, and how he compares it to the Onkyo DV-SP501.

Thx you guys for the input! :thumbsup:

After buying this system I'll undoubtedly spend more time here on this forum... I'm not really an audiophile (yet), but I'm planning to set this baby up as best I can, especially combined with a 31" LCD (perhaps the Sharp LC-30HV4E , but I'll get back on that ;))

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    The one big bonus with the S97 is both PAL and NTSC progressive scan. That might be important with a LCD TV. Other Panasonic models just have NTSC PS.

The S97 look pretty future proof for a while having a HDMI interface. If a LCD TV has it as well, the picture and sound should be exceptional.

6. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anybody know if theres likely to be a mult-region hack for the S97, or would it be a case of buying a chipped player.
    It looks excellent for the money, definately getting one.

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    Hacks usually have to done using a service engineer remote or chipping.

8. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    see thread:
    "HDMI DVD PLAYERS" by Xstyle ... questions of the Panansonic player mentioned..