What is output from the AV32R 'remote' jack socket?

maj74

Established Member
Reaction score
Am trying to control the power of my 4 Arcam Alpha 10p Power amps. These have 3.5mm 'control' sockets on the back. Having spoken to Arcam I have verified that these are '12v power sensing' inputs, they don't pass remote codes.

What I want to know is; What does the 3.5mm jack 'remote' sockets on the back of the AV32R send out? The manual seems to imply that these simply pass remote codes through the Tag and on to other things, while the chap at Arcam says it was likely that it may well also send out the 12v 'pulse' to trigger other items as well. (though he said it would need a mono, not stereo cable to work, anyone know why?)

Does anyone know conclusively? Any information appreciated.

Hi,
The remote sockets on the back are just for attaching a remote sensor (for when the Tag is placed out of sight) and passing remote signals onto other Tag equiptment.

If you want to trigger an amp to and from standby then you should probably be using the 9 pin D-type connector action switches. Details on the pin arrangement can be found in the manual.:thumbsup:

Paul.

p.s. Mono jacks are used because the 12v feed is just signal and ground (same as a mono feed).

Last edited:
That's what I was afraid of....

How can you take a 12v action signal from an RS232 ouput plug, and feed it into a 3.5mm jack input? I don't know of such a cable, help :lease:

I've not looked so don't know where you'd buy one from really,:(
Perhaps someone else could help here?.

If it were me I'd probably just buy a mono jack lead and a D-Plug connector then get the soldering iron out.:)

Paul.

That's what I was afraid of....

How can you take a 12v action signal from an RS232 ouput plug, and feed it into a 3.5mm jack input? I don't know of such a cable, help :lease:

I've got one, that I used to use with my Audiolab 8000AV (TAG AV30). You can get them from IAG, give the helpdesk a ring, or I can sell you mine since I don't need it any more :thumbsup:.

Quote: 'If it were me I'd probably just buy a mono jack lead and a D-Plug connector then get the soldering iron out.'

I've made up my own cable when I got home but it doesn't work and I've worked out via another 4 yr old thread I found, that the action switch doesn't supply any voltage, it's just a passive switch. So now I;ve got to find a way of getting 12v into my rs232 to 3.5mm jack cable.

Any ideas?

Maj,

Simple little 12v dc plug in transformer, wire one side to the d type the other side to the jack and then jack to d type, then when the action switch closes in the AV32R, you will pass 12v dc to the input on your amp -- turning it on we hope :thumbsup:

Bushy

Thank you, yes of course.... should have managed to think of that myself :suicide:

Of course it;s simpler if I can find a 12v dc plug in transformer where the cable is two seperate mouldings that can be 'peeled' apart, or the transformer can be unscrewed to allow you to replace the cable. Most modern transformers on the shelves (maplins that I've seen) seem to be a 'single' cable which is less than helpful! :rolleyes:

Of course I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth trying any further ideas on this. I am expecting to get a philips pronto extender RFX9600 in a while, and I suspect that this will be capable of switching the Arcam amps on as well, (Though I've no idea how at the moment!) It has power sensing sockets on the back, but not sure how they work or what they plug into.

We'll see!

One of the reasons why I'm a little reluctant to pursue this with a transformer power supply, is that I am just so short of plug sockets now.

Does the 12v trigger to the power amps just output a short 'burst' to turn them on and then another one to turn them off, or does the 12v have to be supplied continuously while they're on?

If it's just a short burst, could you rig up 12v worth of batteries to provide the power, rather than having to use yet another plug?

Sorry for the bum steer on the action switches maj74 :(
I just assumed they were 12v, it seems rather stupid that they're not! :confused: as all other competing makes have this.

Using signal sensing to power up a number of sockets when the AV32R is on and off when it's not is probably the easiest way,
(I currently use this method via a simple sensing extension lead).

Paul.

p.s. From the days when I had active 12v triggers I recall they were constant (not burst).

Sorry for the bum steer on the action switches maj74 :(
I just assumed they were 12v, it seems rather stupid that they're not! :confused: as all other competing makes have this.

Using signal sensing to power up a number of sockets when the AV32R is on and off when it's not is probably the easiest way,
(I currently use this method via a simple sensing extension lead).

Paul.

p.s. From the days when I had active 12v triggers I recall they were constant (not burst).

No need to apologise! We wouldn't get anywhere on these forums if it wasn't for people volunteering information. :smashin:

I have got a 12v transformer and will see if it works, however, I am intrigued by the sound of your current method, could you fill me in on what it actually involves? Might be a better long term solution. (As may be the RFX9600 if I can find out if can trigger the amps on and off)

Mine is an Omega power saving extension lead
Only place I seem to be able to find with any still in stock seems to be here:
Buy the Omega 21267 7 Gang Power Saving Extension Lead at Sustuu.com. Sustuu

Capable of:
Maximum load: 13A.
Total power: 3250 watt.
Over current protection: for more than 13A

You simply plug the AV32R into the master socket adjust the sensing sensitivity (via a little dial so it turns on and off correctly) and plug your amp/s or other equiptment into the slave sockets.
All seems to work very nicely.:thumbsup:
Although please note I use the hard switch (not standby) on the front of the Tag as I read that it's standby isn't a true power off.
I don't know if that makes a difference as I've not played about with it.

Paul.

Thanks for the above info,

Well, as stated above, I've bought a 12v transformer plug, wired it in and...

Wait for it....

It doesn't work.... :mad:

However I have managed to work out the following:

My new 'powered' RS232 to 3.5mm jack lead obviously runs 12v and it runs it continuously, and I have been able to verify that the action switches on the Tag are working. (Tag on 12v, Tag off 0v)

So I tried getting a reading off the output of one of the power amps feeding the other power amps (which DOES work) and when you switch on the amp, you get a 12V BURST for about half a second. Same again when you switch it off. So obviously the Arcam socket isn't recognising the continuous 12v from the Tag. AAARRGGGHHHH

I don't know what else I can do now.... so unless anyone has a brilliant ideas as to how I can turn a continuous 12v supply into just a burst, I think I'm done with trying to get the Tag to turn the Arcams on, and seeing if I can get the pronto extender to do it.

Why can't Parasound hurry up and release their HDP70?!! It seems to have every feature I want, AND seems to have proper 3.5mm jack 12v trigger sockets.

Last edited:
The only other thought I've had:

Would the polarity of the 3.5mm jack matter? Would re-wiring the jack the other way round possibly help?

I use this handy little device for lots of things,
maybe you can bend it to suit this application, it allows toggle or momentary
action of the relays via infrared commands.

12-Channel Infrared (IR) Relay Board with Remote Control (3142)

I think they sell a 2 channel board, but not sure if it has momentary action, check
out the speck its in "relay boards & controllers" category.

Regards,
Drew...

Interesting Link. Thanks for that Drew. If I didn't have the Pronto extender, which has relays on it, I'd definately have been interested in one of these.

I finally got my Arcams to work. Don't know why they suddenly did start working but I'm not complaining. :D

I use a simple X-10 based arrangement for the switching of my Krell Power Amps which have 12v triggers.

The two amps are connected together with a 3.3mm jack to jack lead.

I have an IR7243 X-10 box like this IR7243 Infra-Red and RF to X10 Converter plugged into the mains

I have an AM12 Appliance Module like this X10 Appliance Module

And I have a normal 12v power supply like this AC/AC Multi-Voltage 500mA Power Supply : AC/AC Power Supplies : Maplin

The IR7243 receives an infra-red code from my Pronto which switches the AM12 on or off, and thus switches the power supply (which is connected to the chain of amps) on or off, and thus the amps on or off.

Simple, reasonably cheap and effective. Of course, you can also use the IR7243 to automate other things like lamps or lights.

The action switches aren't intended to carry any sort of current, and I didn;t want to risk damaging the processor, so I used leads to the Ground and PS_on connectors on a spare ATX computer power supply to turn the power supply on, given me the voltage needed by my Bryston and some more for cooling fans.

Been working for years.

What I've done is to add a 3.5mm mono jack into the back of the AV32R and a little home build circuit which supplies 12V when the processor is turned on.

Its only very low current output but its easily enough to remote turn on the Bryston and Primaire amps.

The only hard part was finding where to take the 12V "on" feed from inside the AV32R, once thats found its easy to build a circuit to buffer it and supply 12V at a few hundred mA.

Not without pulling my amp out of the rack and opening it up.

Next time I'm rearranging it all or adding some new bit of kit + rewiring I'll do it then.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom