1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is NTSC & how do I know my tv can read it?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DPLeeds, Dec 28, 2004.

1. DPLeeds

DPLeeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy some region 1 dvds and have a multi region dvd player but the blurp also says that they will only play on a TV set that can understand the NTSC signal.

i have an old sony 21" triniton tv - will it be able to do this?

Also are most modern tv's able to read the NTSC signal?

Thanks

2. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends how old your Sony Trinitron is! Try borrowing a Region 1 DVD to test it out. If your TV isn't compatible you'll probably get a black and white picture, or some distortion. Most TVs made within the past ten years can cope with NTSC - American standard.

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    NTSC is the colour (color?) system used in the US and a few other countries with the 525 line/60 field system.

(For comparison, the UK uses PAL colour with 625/50.)

As you say, most modern sets can handle both systems.

There's a good chance that your Sony will be suitable, as Japan use NTSC 525/60, but we'll need the model number to be sure.

4. DPLeeds

DPLeeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a sony HiBlack Triniton KV-21M3U or KV-21T3U (not sure exactly which) from 1997.

5. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following on from these questions about NTSC... My daughter has a Toshiba Multi-Region DVD player and a Toshiba TV/VCR combi. If we play a Region 1 DVD in it the TV shows a Black and White picture. if we play it in the lounge on our normal CRT tv there is no problem. The TV can play NTSC videos as it actually states this (although we have not tried this as we so not have any). is there some known problem with playing a R1 DVD on a combo? The TV / DVD are connected by Scart lead.

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    When you said "old", I thought you meant over 20 years, like mine! :laugh:

Although I don't know for certain, I would have thought that any 1997 Sony would be ok with NTSC.

As Alan D said, give it a try.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    The cause here is in the colour carrier method being used by the DVD player.

It's quite possible that the TV does not have the necessary circuit to decode NTSC colour.

You need to either

a) if the DVD player has such an option, set the output to PAL (and not "auto" which it probably is at present). This may be a hardware switch or a setup menu option

OR

b) if the TV has an option, set the DVD to output, and the TV to input - RGB. Ensure the SCART cable in use ius fully wired (ie has all 21 pins connected).

8. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks LV426. When I get home i will try this although I don't understand why there is a problem if my TV specifically says it is NTSC compatible?

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    Ahhh...but does it? Maybe what it says is that, as a combi it will play NTSC tapes. And it may well do so. The tape player in it will generate a signal which is 525 lines, 60 hz (like NTSC) but with a PAL colour carrier. And you'd never notice. This would mean that it will play back NTSC tapes, as per spec.

Maybe it doesn't say that the TV's AV input is NTSC compatible. Using a PAL setting on your DVD player or an RGB connection will work round this by producing a 525 line, 60 hz (like NTSC) signal, but with a colour carrier the TV can cope with.