What is normal noise level for Sky+ box?

Jaybe

Standard Member
Reaction score
Am the owner of a Pace TDS470N but somewhat disappointed with the noise being emitted from the box. I am now on my second brand new box, the first was much noisier than this but as I have not had Sky+ before, or even Sky for that matter I don't know what is normal.

I can tell you that I can definitely hear the hard discs spinning, not a fan. My neighbour works in computers and he said that he could not hear it straight away, either I am too fussy or unlucky?!

As I have already changed it once I am tempted to get someone to have a look inside and see if the HDD can be made any quieter, someone has already offered. Obviously this will invalidate the warranty but I may end up with a noisier box again. The other option is to take it back to the shop and compare with the one they have setup in there.

Any advice appreciated.

Because the box is always recording the channel it's tuned to, the hard drive is always writing. Turn the box and TV on, press Services, Sky+ Setup, go to Instant rewind, press right to turn it off. Go down to Save and press Select. Obviously, doing this will mean that you cannot rewind live TV.

I had my first Thomson box changed due to excessive noise. It was high pitched whine from the hard drive which changed pitch and tone. it was a nightmare trying to watch TV when the room was quiet and kids in bed!! tried turning instant rewind and anytime off to stop hard drive working all the time and it made no difference whatsoever. sky engineer came out and argued that the noise was normal but was having none of it and now have Amstrad which is much quieter. Am surprised at a Pace box being noisy coz I thought they were meant to be quietest. The noise does drive you insane though:( Good luck mate

I don't know how the TDS470N is assembled but the earlier Pace boxes had the HD mounted on rubber bushes. If the bolts have been over-tightened or the bushes are somehow misaligned or something is touching the HD then noise will be transmitted through the chassis.
You can see a picture of the rubber bushes ("shock absorbing feet") here:
http://www.satcure.com/accs/page12.htm#sky+
Scroll down to them...

Hi,

I have just had a Sky + installed, looking at the box it says Manufactured by Pace, Pace model No: TDS470N on the main sticker , then on a second sticker, E6336 Thompson PVR3? Both stickers have the same serial number.

On the Back of the Machine is a pace logo only, what box have I got Pace or Thompson?

Thanks

Hi,

I have just had a Sky + installed, looking at the box it says Manufactured by Pace, Pace model No: TDS470N on the main sticker , then on a second sticker, E6336 Thompson PVR3? Both stickers have the same serial number.

On the Back of the Machine is a pace logo only, what box have I got Pace or Thompson?

Thanks

Go into "Services" "System setup" "System details"

Quote us please the details on the first and third lines - Manufacturer and Version Number

Manu: Pace
Model No: 4.044
Version No: 9F2213

Pace PVR3 - 160 Gb HDD, 80 for you (approx 40 hours recording) and 80 for Anytime.

Pace PVR3 - 160 Gb HDD, 80 for you (approx 40 hours recording) and 80 for Anytime.

Is this the best box to have at present?

Can the other 80 Gb be used for personal recording, if so how?

Thanks for the Info

I think all the brands have there strengths and weaknesses.

I've had the latest pace and now have the latest Amstrad Sky+ box, i prefer the Amstrad my myself as it's completely silent but it is slightly laggy when changing channels compared to the Pace, but it's not problem.

"Can the other 80 Gb be used for personal recording, if so how?"

No it can't, very annoying.

Hi Brutos. Would you say that the Amstad is much quiter than the Pace box?? Have got Amstard and agree it is whisper quiet but got problems freezing up. Got Sky coming thursday and not sure which box is best to ask for if they replace it. Of course it all depends what he's got in his van aswell!!

Is this the best box to have at present?

Can the other 80 Gb be used for personal recording, if so how?

Thanks for the Info

As stated 80Gb for you and 80Gb reserved by the firmware for Anytime which cannot be released (not yet and probably never).

Taken box back to shop and they agreed it should not sound the way it does. Apparently there is a shortage of Sky+ boxes!? Will have to wait until the end of the week until they have new stock for replacement.

Hi Brutos. Would you say that the Amstad is much quiter than the Pace box?? Have got Amstard and agree it is whisper quiet but got problems freezing up. Got Sky coming thursday and not sure which box is best to ask for if they replace it. Of course it all depends what he's got in his van aswell!!

Yeah it is alot quieter than my old Pace box. But my old Pace was faulty hence why i had it replaced, so after reading what jaybe just said maybe that's why it was noisy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom