What is my prolem?

RickRST

Standard Member
So i have a home cinema system using a pair of Mission 702's for the front and Onkoyo TXSR607.

I have recently got a few Sonos bits mainly for convenience. I added a Connect to the amp. The Sonos gear blows the sound quality of the Onkoyo and 702's out of the water.

Yes i understand that an AV setup is compromised for music, but it has to be used 50/50 for music/film.

What shall i look at upgrading first? The amp or the speakers? For £500 can i get a pair of speakers that will match the Sonos? The Sonos sounds so clear and crisp compared to the AV setup, which is almost muffled by comparison no matter what I do with the EQ.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 39241

Is the Sonos equipment for another room? Otherwise the obvious solution is to use the Sonos for music and the Onkyo for films / tv.

Another option is a speaker switch so that you can share the Missions with the Onkyo for movies and then have a different amp for music. Only problem is that a good switch is approx £90, so will take a fair portion of the budget. But probably cheaper than buying another set of speakers, and certainly more space saving.

RickRST

Standard Member
Sonos is another room(s)

I was considering junking the amp and getting a playbar but then I thought surely I must be able to get better sound quality with a dedicated setup!

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Have you tried the Onkyo to the speakers using the 'Pure Direct' stereo mode - i.e. absolutely no audio processing by the amp, with the same music source (via the Connect) as the Sonos speakers at the same time (so you can wander from room to room to compare)?

I find dynamic EQ must be off for best musical sound on my 515 with my ancient B&W DM10s, otherwise all sorts of strange audio muddiness and wooliness is pretty much guaranteed.

RickRST

Standard Member
So to update the problem has been found - both tweeters in the Mission's are dead!

Looking at some Q Accoustics 3050's to replace them :)

mannyo

So to update the problem has been found - both tweeters in the Mission's are dead!

Looking at some Q Accoustics 3050's to replace them :)

Do each of your speakers have two or four terminals on the back, the description sounds like the bi wiring jumpers are missing from both your speakers which would disable the tweeters.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom