1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is my beter buy - Streamium or Showcentre for HD wifi?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by dunsters, Aug 23, 2005.

1. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have been looking into the ShowCentre from Pinnacle and the Philips Streamium 400 for wireless connection to the range of PCs in the house and for watching PC based HD films etc. :cool: I prefer DVI connection to my Sagem 56" DLP as the component socket is used at the moment for the DVR and I don't want to hot swap them over or buy a switch box yet.

Anyone with experience of either of these or any advice on an alternative?:confused:

Many thanks for your views - sorry if i am repeating a similar post but nothing came up on a seach threads that offered a comparison.

Cheers
    :hiya:

2. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  3. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Snazio is waaaaaay expensive though..... and cant be brought from any UK based retailers......

4. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Current wireless doesn't have the bandwidth for HD, you'll need to use a wired connection...

5. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Absolute rubbish. I use my Showcenter 200 every night over a wireless 802.11g network to stream HiDef material. The maximum bitrate is about 12Mbps, which is plenty for MPEG4 HiDef material.

Showcenter 200 works great, others such as the Linkplayer 2, Snazzio, etc. also work fine. Showcenter doesn't have DVI or HDMI output though, although I'm not sure which other media streamers have DVI.

6. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks cjgpers:hiya:

I have now placed an order for the ShowCentre 200 :thumbsup: so I hope my 802.11g n/w which normally runs at 'excellent' connection speeds will work too:smashin: .

I have 5 PCs around the house:eek: with the boxes in my 2 son's rooms containing 10s of GB of music and videos and my wife's loaded with home video and holiday pictures etc. My study PC also has a few bits which I like to share when I am in a good mood with wifey and the boys!:rotfl:

How do you use yours?
    Do you RIP DVDs to the PC and do they seem to play at any better quality then a DVD player direct?
    Do you connect the ShowCentre 200 direct to the TV and if so, via component progressive or other?
    If you also have a DVD, how do you cope with rival progressive connections - my TV only has the one connection set hence my previous preference for DVI:rolleyes:

Any hints or tips on the Pinnacle vrs other software mentioned too?:)

Cheers:hiya:

7. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    What MPEG4 do you stream every night..? I'm glad it works for you, but it's not absolute rubbish at all, you have been warned :suicide: ...

8. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    I use my SC200 in a number of ways:

1. Stream all my music CDs, encoded in WMA format.

2. Viewing my collection of 5000+ photos, most of which are 2256x1504 format. Photos look stunning on a HiDef display.

3. I'm converting all my DVDs to XVID format to stream. No obvious loss in picture quality, and converting to XVID using AutoGK throws away the wasted black borders on most DVDs and converts to progressive. I'm sure some experts will say that converting to XVID is stupid, but I've found this to be the best compromise for squeezing my 50 favourite DVDs onto a 250gb USB2 HDD and still retain excellent picture quality. The end result looks a lot better than playing them on my non-progressive DVD player.

4. I stream a collection of about 30 HiDef demos, mainly WMV and DivX. These are mostly movie trailers.

The only thing I don't use it for is to stream .TS MPEG2 files, but most of these would be from illegal downloads anyway.

I've got mine connected to a Samsung SP46L6HX 1280x720 DLP RPTV using component leads. I don't have a progressive DVD player, and I'm reserving the HDMI connection on my TV for a Sky+HD box. I run the SC200 in 1280x720 mode, since that's a better match to my TV than using the 1920x1080 mode.

As for other software, I used SwissCenter for a while, but since the latest software update from Pinnacle I've gone back to using the standard Pinnacle software. I found SwissCenter not so good for playing music and photos, but does provide better catalog facilities for videos. SwissCenter doesn't support HiDef displays for it's menus, etc.

From a wireless perspective, the only problem you may have is if you're connecting all your PCs over the wireless network, you may consume too much bandwidth if streaming from a wireless connected PC to the wireless connected SC200, since you're then effectively doubling the bandwidth requirements. In my case the 2 PCs I stream from are hardwire network connected.

9. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for an excellent reply - you are obviously very generous with your time :smashin: This will get me started off well and the reply is very much appreciated.:hiya:

Cheers:hiya:

10. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thats inaccurate I can stream T2 1080p which is WMV MPEG4 perfectly over my WIFI G connection.