1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is "miss use" to cause burn in

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dan76n, Nov 1, 2004.

1. dan76n

dan76n
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I read an artical from a link posted here about burn in saying manfacturers say miss use is the main cause for burn in on plasmas.
    It also says that you shouldnt watch too much 4:3 on your plasma as the black bars will cause burn in.
    If this is the case what am I supposed to do when I watch dvds that are 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 ? this im assuming will cause burn in. I know I can stretch the image to fill the screen but this makes the images look distrorted. I watched lord of the rings yesterday and was continually stretching the image to remove the black bars for a while. I dont belive watching a dvd in true ratios is miss use and if the plasma manufacturers belive it is the I guess I will have to take it up with the producers of movies if I have any problems !
    has anyone got any suggestions???

2. Dade

Dade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do the black bars cause burn in, surely it would be the other way round?

3. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Nope, its not, the plasma displays black bars using the phosphors, its not just the screen you are seeing

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    Amazing what you read here!

Here's how it works:

The phosphors on a plasma (or CRT for that matter) get dimmer over time. This effect is determined solely by how brightly they are illuminated and for how long.

The brighter, and longer, the faster they dim.

This ageing (dimming) occurs all the time wherever the screen is lit. However, if the amount of illumination, averaged out over time, is even across the whole screen, then you will never notice that the whole screen is gradually dimming.

If the amount of illumination is uneven, then those parts that are generally brighter (averaged out over time) will age more quickly than those that are darker. It is the difference that eventually becomes visible as burn-in.

Hence:

Continued/prolonged use for a bright logo'd channel will age (dim) the position of the logo and it will become visible as a feint shadow on other channels.

Continued/prolonged use for letterboxed films will age (dim) the illuminated part of the screen more rapidly than the unilluminated part.

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Hence I change aspect ratios every 30 mins when watching letterbox films and put up with the distortion in order to get even burn-in.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    But fortunately there are so many aspect ratios in use, that unless you watch Gladiator every day for a month with the brigtness and contrast right up, you are unlikely to have any problems. I have heard of a Hitachi panel with a letterbox burnt into the screen, but it's extremely rare.

Ekko you are paranoid! You have the most unburnable screen on the market, relax! 30 minutes is nowhere near long enough to cause a problem, your anxiety is way way over the top.

7. rafaqat

rafaqat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which screen would that be?
    I've just bought a Panny PWD6.
    How does that compare?
    I'm just a little worried that when my son is watching or wife is watching NTL I may get burnin from the channel logo (some of the ones they watch aren't transparent, they're solid blocks of colour. They tend to watch Tv in an or two blocks.

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    It's just become a habit now since I had a rear projection. I was worried with burn in with that and it has carried over into plasma.

In actual fact I prefer not to watch any dvd's on my plasma anyway because of that. That's only because I can watch those front projection in original format ratio.

In all honesty my plasma gets used for normal terrestrial telly only.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Rafaqat, Ekko has the TV version of your screen, and he certainly is a paranoid android. You have lttle to fear from the NTL channel logos, a lot of this is dodgy salesmen and shareholders of CRT factories putting scare stories about. I've been working with plasmas for 5 years now, 1st in exhibition rental, then into installation and home cinema, and I've only ever seen 3 ruined by screen burn. None were panasonics.