1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is min spec computer to video edit?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by inquisitive, Dec 20, 2004.

1. inquisitive

inquisitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    Need to edit DV video, but my present computer has two faults:
    1 It drops a few frames when transfering through firewire to hard drive.
    2 It stutters when editing the full mix (as if it is on the limit of its capability and just cant quite handle it).

I am a student on min money and wondered:
    WHICH IS THE BIT THAT I SHOULD UPGRADE TO ALLOW IT TO COPE??

My computer is:
    Legend QDI Advanced-9 V1.XX
    BusClock 133Mhz
    P111 800Mhz
    256 Ram
    NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model64/Model64 Pro (Graphics Card)
    CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device (Sound Card)
    PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Contoller (Fire Wire Card)

Any knowledge/thinking would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Welcome to the forum inquisitive :hiya:

Well the specs of your PC look ok for editng other than you could really do with upgrading your RAM to at least 512Mb (1Gb would be better).
    Dropped frames are nearly always caused by either the HDD being short of space or needing to be defragmented or having things like antivirus software running.

Capture needs around 14Gb per hour plus more spare for editing, so I would recommend you have at least 30Gb spare before you start. It is also recommended to have a dedicated HDD for capture with no software including the editing software installed on it.
    You really should stop all the background programs that are not required for editing. The best way I have found for doing this is to download and install a free program called 'EndItAll2'. Do an internet search for it, but if you can't find it PM me with your e-mail address and I'll forward you a copy.

Have a go with the above suggestions and see how you get on.
    Feel free to ask if there is anything else you need to know.

Good luck,
    Mark.

3. inquisitive

inquisitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark.
    Thought about popping in a bit more RAM, sounds a good suggestion...... There was a parculiar thing I remember was occurring when I added a bit to the original 128meg.......

and that was: I purchased another 128 meg of (same sort of RAM, whatever it is) and it registered as then having a total of 192 Mb! only measuring half the newbie value.
    I exchanged it several times, all with the same effect, so eventually added a 256 mb stick and then the total added to 512 (only measuring again the newbie as half its value)

didnt matter which slot I put them in.

Wonder what will happen if I put extra in soon?

kind regards

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Just had a similar problem on this P111 500MHz where 256MB was detected as 128 and there's no way of convincing the PC otherwise.

Incidentally even this machine has no problems with firewire transfers, plus it gets there eventually with editing and rendering so your 800 should be fine. :)

5. inquisitive

inquisitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok John thanks for note.
    It is very strange the computers only recognise half....... doesnt sway the shop keepers when you ask them for the lower cost! never mind.

I'll add the ram and a new 160Gb hard drive which will be just for video storing and see how it fares.

Thanks for thoughts :smashin: