what is magic eye?

I see a lot of people are using 'magic eye'

I've done a bit of searching around but haven't found much info on what it actually is

Can someone please give me a quick summary.

Thanks in advance

slimmrock

If you have Sky TV and you have a second TV already wired up to view Sky (or if you are planning to wire them up), It enables the control of your digibox from a second room (e.g. bedroom or kitchen). Simply unplug the existing coax lead from the aerial socket of the bedroom TV, plug in the link, then plug the coax lead back in. This will now relay the remote control's signals down the existing coax cable to the digibox so you can change channels etc

kevmarshall

Novice Member

logiciel

You connect the Sky receiver by coaxial aerial cable to a TV in another room and the device allows you to change its channels from there.
A RF video sender does the same thing but more neatly without wiring, and doesn't cost an awful lot more.
A Google search will get you all the details, and plenty of suppliers.
They don't carry HD as HD though and this is the HD forum:)

Last edited:

Broadz

It allows you to work a Sky box from a remote location using a second Sky (or Sky+) remote control. The Magic Eye sits at the remote location (usually plugged into the back of a second television set), picks up the key presses that you are making on the second remote control, sends those key presses back to the Sky box (via the RF2 out connection and a long RF aerial cable) and the Sky box works as if it was the remote control in its immediate vicinity which was controlling it.

It is normally used in conjunction with a second television set connected to the RF2 cable out. So, you have a long RF cable running from the RF2 out into the back of the Magic Eye. And the Magic Eye connects into the back of the second television set. When you are watching the remote TV, you can still control the Sky box using a second remote control and the Magic Eye.

kenedin

Some of the new Pace and Samsung digiboxes are not too responsive to the Sky HD remote control, so you could also use one on your main TV/digibox to get better commands to the box, instead of getting a few feet away from it and then pressing buttons:D:D

Fieldling86

Novice Member
Interesting solution to the sluggish response on the Pace HD box. My remote is terrible - takes 3 or 4 presses to get a response, and its hugely variable.

Not so sure though if a magic eye is the solution as with a HDMI lead I am not using (and don't need) any co-ax aerial between TV and HD box (the only co-ax is the sky aerial cable between the dish and the back of the HD box.

Cheers

Per

Stuart

Distinguished Member
Interesting solution to the sluggish response on the Pace HD box. My remote is terrible - takes 3 or 4 presses to get a response, and its hugely variable.

Not so sure though if a magic eye is the solution as with a HDMI lead I am not using (and don't need) any co-ax aerial between TV and HD box (the only co-ax is the sky aerial cable between the dish and the back of the HD box.

Cheers

Per
Not a problem Per. The magic eye will just plug straight into the RF socket. No RF lead required.

I [-]have[/-]had a sluggish Samsung and the eye has transformed the response of it. Get one mate, you won't regret it :thumbsup:

Just to add that the one I bought was a Smart-Eye from Maplins for £9.99 and the sensor is so sensitive that I can point the remote in any direction from at least 12 feet away and it picks it up, even if the coffee table is in the line of sight.

Last edited:

LouisePrieto

Novice Member
Does anybody know if there is a universal Magic Eye that applies to other satellite boxes.
I am in Spain and really need one but I dot not have Sky box here!

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Does anybody know if there is a universal Magic Eye that applies to other satellite boxes.
Only a skybox will work directly with a magic eye, they have internal circuitry to handle the control codes sent back down the coax.

There are a few units that will let them work with other boxes.

eg

Triax 370407 Tri-Link Kit

There are also other ways both wired and wireless.

Marmitek PowerMid XL infrared extender set: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Wireless Video senders incorporate remote control as well as sending the pictures.

Magic eyes can be used with the following to control virtually any infra red remote controlled equipment - tvLINK®plus

davedrizen

Novice Member
LouisePrieto said:
A few years ago the company that manufactured the Sky eye (Global Infocom Ltd) on behalf of Sky were going to bring out Universal version that would work other devices, but not sure if it was ever realised.

A few years ago the company that manufactured the Sky eye (Global Infocom Ltd) on behalf of Sky were going to bring out Universal version that would work other devices, but not sure if it was ever realised.
There are several companies that make devices similar to the one I linked to in post#11 but you will never get a universal magic eye without and additional box such as that because virtually no other STBs have the internal circuitry to extract the remote's signals from their RF outputs.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom