What is Love ?

F1Fan72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A interesting question that I thought I would ask.. What do you think love is.. A simple question for some to answer but for some. maybe not so. As its not a tangible thing that you can pick up and see, how do you know that you love your partner... ?

Generally speaking its when you place more value in a person , ideal or "thing" than you do in yourself.

"Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion, it is not the desire to mate every second minute of the day, it is not lying awake at night imagining that he is kissing every cranny of your body. No, don't blush, I am telling you some truths. That is just being "in love" which any fool can do.

Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two.

— Louis de Bernières

"Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion, it is not the desire to mate every second minute of the day, it is not lying awake at night imagining that he is kissing every cranny of your body. No, don't blush, I am telling you some truths. That is just being "in love" which any fool can do.

Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two.

— Louis de Bernières

I'd call that being stuck with someone whether you like it or not.

You beat me to it :(

CxLeH.jpg

Graham_IoM said:
I'd call that being stuck with someone whether you like it or not.
You must be seeing and reading it in a totally different way to me then :)

When you see the person or think about them you get that hammering butterfly feeling in your chest...that's love.

Love is an evolutionary behaviour trait designed to pair bond a couple together to facillitate the very extended infant stage of homo sapiens. This extended infantile stage is a result of the evolutionary pattern of increasing brain and skull size conflicting with evolution by sexual selection where stone age men seem to have avoided wide hipped ( and therefore large arsed ) women in favour of a more curved figure ( some even suggest that womens breasts are basically arse mimics representing a primate throwback where sexual maturity was displayed on our 4 legged cousins by extremely swollen asses) . I suspect Love is just an adaption of imprinting behaviour, this is reflected in a variety of love behaviours such as eye gazing, mirroring, talking like a gooey **** and using infantile nouns of endearment such as baby.

Poets and philosophers have been trying to understand and explain love for the best part of 3000 years - and we're still asking the question.

That probably tells us something.

I think real love is almost the exclusive preserve of a parent for their child.

That said I have a paternal-esque love for one of my female friends.

Expensive when it isn't what you think it is, and need an exit strategy.

Poets and philosophers have been trying to understand and explain love for the best part of 3000 years - and we're still asking the question.

That probably tells us something.

Plato comes quite close in the Symposium, but that's rhetoric for you. :)

For me - love is the fact that I would have done anything for my fiance - I would literally have taken a bullet for her.... I sold everything I owned, gave up 2 jobs and went to Canada to university to do a degree just so I would not lose her....

Love is the fact that even though she cheated on me and now I am back in the UK with nothing - I am still as madly in love with her as the first day that I set eyes on her

Love is when you still send her flowers, even though she treats you like ****....

Love is an evolutionary behaviour trait designed to pair bond a couple together to facillitate the very extended infant stage of homo sapiens. This extended infantile stage is a result of the evolutionary pattern of increasing brain and skull size conflicting with evolution by sexual selection where stone age men seem to have avoided wide hipped ( and therefore large arsed ) women in favour of a more curved figure ( some even suggest that womens breasts are basically arse mimics representing a primate throwback where sexual maturity was displayed on our 4 legged cousins by extremely swollen asses) . I suspect Love is just an adaption of imprinting behaviour, this is reflected in a variety of love behaviours such as eye gazing, mirroring, talking like a gooey **** and using infantile nouns of endearment such as baby.

Hmmm you sweet talker you :love:

Love is when you still send her flowers, even though she treats you like ****....

Actually I regard that as merely maintaining the moral high ground rather than love.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom