What is likely to happen?

Russellgti

Established Member
Reaction score
My day one Thomson Sky HD box is starting to get increasingly unreliable.

I have just spoken to sky to see what it would cost to get one of the new Sky Hd 1Tb boxes. The answer being £249 + £60 install.

However if I go the other route and do the £65 engineer callout what am I likley to get as a replacement. The guy I spoke to just now mentioned something about using up their stock of Sky + boxes for replacements.

A Sky+ would be no good as a replacement for a HD! You get a refurb HD.

with a 90 day guarantee (i think)

I was thinking the same about the sky + part. Perhaps the guy had it mixed up with the fact that they seem to call Sky HD Sky +hd now.

Are refurbished ones worth having?

From past experience refurb's don't last long. I had 6 refurbished HP printers all failed within 1 hour of being deliverd.

I think you've been extremely unlucky with 6 :)eek:) faulty units, although printers are very mechanical.

But refurbished Sky boxes obviously are not as good as new ones, or they'd have a 12 month guarantee.

I'd recommend the £65 a three months warrantee option. Don't worry about the make of box.
You could always ask for a new rather than refurbed box - I did this twice and got new boxes!

My day one Thomson Sky HD box is starting to get increasingly unreliable.

I have just spoken to sky to see what it would cost to get one of the new Sky Hd 1Tb boxes. The answer being £249 + £60 install.

However if I go the other route and do the £65 engineer callout what am I likley to get as a replacement. The guy I spoke to just now mentioned something about using up their stock of Sky + boxes for replacements.

:eek:

Why on earth yould you pay £60 to have somebody screw the existing leads into a new sky box??

I wouldn't buy choice as I am perfectly able to do it myself. I had to redo the ends on the new leads the "Engineer" installed on my brothers sky + box.

you can get a self install now and that saves you £30

Unfortunately there is no self install on the 1TB box, I know, I already tried to go down that route.

It is £249 + £60 even if you already have an HD box wired up; look at it this way, they are simply covering their costs and the new adopters will pay the £309 to get the new box. Eventually the independents will get these boxes, and the price will probably fall to the £249 + shipping. Or less.

I ordered one yesterday simply because I have become fed up with my ageing Thomson and its slow speed on the EPG, even though it does have a new PSU, it is still showing its age. And the blurring on the Sky News ticker continues to annoy me...

Unfortunately there is no self install on the 1TB box, I know, I already tried to go down that route.

It is £249 + £60 even if you already have an HD box wired up; look at it this way, they are simply covering their costs and the new adopters will pay the £309 to get the new box. Eventually the independents will get these boxes, and the price will probably fall to the £249 + shipping. Or less.

I ordered one yesterday simply because I have become fed up with my ageing Thomson and its slow speed on the EPG, even though it does have a new PSU, it is still showing its age. And the blurring on the Sky News ticker continues to annoy me...

This happens to me on sky sports news with my old Thomson box.

Is this a sign it's on the way out???

This happens to me on sky sports news with my old Thomson box.

Is this a sign it's on the way out???

Not neccessarily, the blurring and stuttering is a well documented problem and is supposedly caused by the Broadcom chip inside the Thomson, a google will reveal all.

Not neccessarily, the blurring and stuttering is a well documented problem and is supposedly caused by the Broadcom chip inside the Thomson, a google will reveal all.

I was beginning to wonder as was sure it couldn't be my tv.

I shall investigate.

Thanks.

The blurring is on old Thomson boxes only.

We had it on ours for 3 years (though the new EPG made it much better). As soon as we switched to a Pace HD box (via the same TV) no more blur.

And our Samsung HD box via another TV does not blur either (via old or new EPG).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom