What is it with insurance companies?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My missus and I both renew our car insurance within a fortnight or so of each other.
So a few weeks back, my missus got a letter from her new insurance company asking for proof of her NCB, even though she had given the details of the previous company when they asked.
She contacted the old company, who said they'd send the details, no problem.

Of course, the old company didn't do it and the missus forgot about it, as you do.
Then she received a letter warning that if she didn't send the proof, her cover was going to be cancelled, hence she has to go through the whole rigmarole again.

What makes it really annoying is exactly the same has happened to me now.
And to put the icing on the cake, it seems to happen every flaming year, regardless of the company!

Given that there is supposed to be a database that the companies use for fraud etc, surely it isn't too much to ask that NCB can be included?
(No doubt someone will mention privacy, but surely you can agree to a disclaimer?).

It's no wonder I hate insurance companies; they're a total PITA, who don't give a toss if they don't get your renewal, imo.

Cheaper car insurance for young drivers. You will need to pass an extended driving test but that gets you reduced insurance and if you do not drive after 11pm, up to 40% discount for young drivers who agree to have a black box in the car. The box monitors their driving and passes details to the insurer who gives the discount.

Discount details;

Young Drivers Car Insurance

Black box article;

The black box that marks your driving « FMWF

Duncan G said:
Cheaper car insurance for young drivers. You will need to pass an extended driving test but that gets you reduced insurance and if you do not drive after 11pm, up to 40% discount for young drivers who agree to have a black box in the car. The box monitors their driving and passes details to the insurer who gives the discount.

Discount details;

Black box article;

What?

wrong stock answer?

Discount details;

Black box article;

898640d1.gif

Discount details;

Black box article;

Just thought I'd share info on getting cheap car insurance as this thread was about car insurance.:hiya:

Just thought I'd share info on getting cheap car insurance as this thread was about car insurance.:hiya:

images

Back on topic - I had to do the same for my car insurance this year, but when I renewed the house insurance and asked them to send me proof of no claims (to save messing around later) the woman I spoke to just said 'there's no need, your new company will see you've got 3 years NCD'.

So whether it works differently with house insurance I don't know, but surely it shouldn't do?

Last edited:
nice photo - you're on form at the moment :rolleyes:

You should be able to use the Schedule of Insurance that is included with the renewal quote from your old company as proof of no claims if you still have it.

You should be able to use the Schedule of Insurance that is included with the renewal quote from your old company as proof of no claims if you still have it.

As above. I've just sent the renewal notice through as proof before. I don't believe there is a specific form that they send out for it.

Just renewed mine, original quote was £850 if I paid annually, went online found it for £600. Current insurer price matched saving me the hassle of switching :)

There was no schedule, it was just an invite to renew, with the (triple last year's :eek:) price.

Anyway, to cap it all off even more, the missus forwarded the so called proof of NCD that they sent me, to my current insurer (I'm working away from home).
Who promptly mailed to tell me it wasn't acceptable, as they hadn't put the expiry date on it, which meant I could have been doubly insured for all they knew! :suicide:

So back on the blower at £1.10 per minute to get it sorted :mad:

I really give up with these (what I regard as) incompetent thieves :thumbsdow

1) Insurance companies are obliged to send proof of ncb if asked.

2) Any document that clearly shows your ncb entitlement is valid proof; this could be a current schedule or a renewal notice. Obviously, it needs to be dated.

3) Some insurers/ brokers may contact the previous insurer directly to request bonus proof (A-Plan do this a lot), however they aren't obliged to do this. The onus is on the insured to provide valid proof to the new insurer.

Most insurers, and especially brokers, are quite efficient and accommodating. If you are experiencing problems its probably because you have chosen a crappy company or gone through a cheap website. You get what you pay for :).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom