1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is it with all the directors cuts?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GalacticaActual, Dec 6, 2004.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    So, I bought dare devil a little while back, now there is an extented edtion directors cut comming out. was gonna buy hellboy, but have just found out there is a directors cut comming out. I was gonna buy chronicals of riddick, but there is an NTSC direcors cut now out. Lord of the rings trilogy extended dirctors editions!!! as well as the normal cuts also avalible. I am sure there is more to come.
    Now I am all for people wanting choice of what version to get, But I think that when a disc is put out there should be somthing telling you that in 6months time a better version will be avalable. The studios want to make as much money on there films as possible but I think its getting a bit beyond a joke that pretty much every new disc that comes out may have a special edition released a little while afterwards. Just release the directors true version first, afterall its there movie! :mad:

sorry about that, had to get that little rant of me chest. :D

2. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    i know what you mean but it doesnt bother me that much. A directors cut is only worth getting if the film itself is good. THe only directors cuts of films worth getting in my opinion at the moment is the lort extended dvds. Not a huge lotr fan but the extra content is well worth the extra cah, the only film i liked and wished there was more was the hellboy 2 disc set which really needed to be released as only a directors cut as the normal cut was ok but not in depth enough for me.
    besides that i usually stick with most non directors cuts as its not usually worth spending the extra money.

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,917
    If you check around the internet you will usually find information about future DVD releases, information about the Extended Edition/Directors Cut of the Lord of the Rings films, Hellboy and The Chronicles of Riddick was available before the standard DVDs were released so you had time to decide which release you wanted which is how it should be with all DVD releases. Its when they release a Special Edition out of no where that its very annoying but nowadays that doesnt seem to happen very often, even the Extended Edition of Spiderman 2 being released next year was mentioned before the standard DVD was released so the best thing to do is to always do plenty of research before you part with your money.

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Theres gonna be an extended edtion of spidey 2. I just bought that for goodness sake :mad: :eek:

5. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Indiana Jones said a lot of these extended/director's cuts are now often publicised months before the regular release. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the lord Of the Rings extended editions were the first to do that. Obviously that's a good thing. I think having two versions available is a good thing as all too often the studios cut the director's original vision to make the films more suitable for a wider audience, so they can make more returned off their investment. I personally like having the choice and wish more director's cuts were available at the same time as the original version or even better having both versions of the film in one set... At virtually no extra cost!

I think what annoys people most is releases like underworld extended version which wasn't publicised until after the initial release of underworld.

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Underworld was announced in advance i knew about it and the same is true of many films.

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,917
    There was a topic posted on here about it a few weeks before Spiderman 2 was released on DVD so like I said, before you spend your money its always best to do a little research to make sure you its the version you want.

8. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I'm sure underworld wasn't announced until after it was released, I usually keep myself abreast of such things and I'm sure that lots of people were surprised by the extended edition being released so soon after the regular version .

9. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    what is it with all the directors cuts?

Money!

In the "Blade Runner" days, it used to be good old director's vision versus the studio's extensive cuts.

Now its just another weeze for the studio to keep taking your money! Of course, in 99.9 per cent of these cases, there is nothing wrong with the originals (Spiderman2) to warrant a directors version. You can blame George Lucas for that!

10. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Only DC cuts I know are worth the money are The Abyss, Leon, Alien3 & Army of Darkness

11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was announced and i featured it on my very own website :)

12. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The director of Alien 4 (although not a good film) said this about the extended version of A4 on the quadroligy.
    He said along the lines, that this extended version is not a directors cut, the original theatical version is a directors cut! Which is a rather good statement, when is a dc a dc?

Ridley Scott did it originally as it was not the version or type of film he wanted (imo it actually made the film worse), and i understand it if films are not originally relelased with the directors vision, but does it not usually take a few years after the film has unk in rather than a few months as is happening now?

13. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know I almost believed you for a minute thinking I had my facts wrong! Anyway going on my own memory and a quick check on DVD reviews sites DVD answers and DVD times, there was no announcement officially until mid-to late March 2004!

Then I thought I would check this forum and lo and behold guess what I found? A comment from you foxymulder... Taken from 12th March 2004 are proving that the unrated extended edition wasn't announced until after the original underworld DVD was released!

14. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooops must have been Hellboy i was thinking of what a memory :)
    many apologies.

15. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    personally i think if a DC comes out, you should be allowed to get a trade-in for the non DC and just pay the difference, if it's within 12 months of the original coming out. Although not if they come out at the same time cos that's your own fault for not buying the DC in the first place then isn't it?

16. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    in the DC of Leon, do you see Mathilda's baby brother get shot in the back? cos i swear i've seen that happen, but its not in the theatrical cut..

17. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,917
    I might be mistaken but I am sure there was a leaflet in the Directors Cut of Pearl Harbor that allowed you to send off your standard DVD release and get money back. If that film can do it then hopefully more will in the future.

Speaking of Directors Cuts, is the DC of King Arthur really that much better than the theatrical cut as I heard that the film was shot as an R rated movie but then got cut by the studio in order for it to get a PG-13 but I havent seen either version so was wondering what people thought.

18. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    it's got some pretty brutal war scenes, ie heads and arms being cut off, including a scissor chop on someones neck using two swords, but no swearing and no naked keira knightley (well she does get naked but you don't see anything damn it). It's still pretty dull for the most part though.

19. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no probs :)

btw i like your site , I had a quick look yesterday :thumbsup:

20. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great i must update it more :)

Feel free to sign my guest book which i just added ( got to make some decent gif files for the logos but no time today )

http://darkrealmfox.com/forum//

21. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    c
    I think you might be right about that except for those offers are usually only available if you live in the US or Canada, which is no good for those of us who import thier dvd's