What is IMAX Enhanced? - news discussion

Thanks for this article, Steve. This is interesting, but it looks like i'd have to change my present Sony TV, which i'd been thinking of.

What about Sony AVR's ?? I have the DN1080, which i hope would be compatable, or that Sony would make it so ?

I'm pretty much IMAX Enhanced-ready with my flagship Denon amp and Sony 4K projector. Will be interesting to see if Sony updates last year's projector models too, as there's really not much difference beyond the wider data pipeline between the 260 and 270, a difference that shouldn't affect IMAX Enhanced.

Last edited:
The most significant thing here is the support of HDR10+, this may give the format a shot-in-the-arm it pretty much needs.

Oh great, another set of "standards" our kit needs to be compatible with. It's never going to be possible to get something that ticks all the boxes! As soon as you do, something else has been developed.

It's almost like they want us in some kind of never ending cycle of upgrades...:confused: :p

GREAT!.....something thats not needed.

Q. What Is IMAX Enhanced?

A: Dead on arrival.

:laugh:

Will the AV receivers implementing this as an update get a badge to stick on their front fascia? If not then I'm not interested. :)

Again another good reason why I dropped out of surround sound and the latest TV technology and went back to 2.1 and stopped buying new TVs - the constant upgrade path and obsolescence of kit I had only just bought.

Sorry, but I find this hilarious. Yet another format to deal with, that's going to cause AV addicts more annoyance The quest for the best kit is getting ridiculous now. Things are out of date quicker than they ever were. Let me know when they've settled on some standards for home cinema, and I might consider spending some money.

Again another good reason why I dropped out of surround sound and the latest TV technology and went back to 2.1 and stopped buying new TVs - the constant upgrade path and obsolescence of kit I had only just bought.

Yeah, but this isn't a new format and you can quite happily live without it.

It doesn't appear to be targetted at audiences outside of the USA anyway. The US is the only place where you'd get a display certified for IMAX. The audio aspect is basically DTS:X so why do you need IMAX certification at all?

It is just another trophy for badge collectors.

Dolby Vision (for streaming and somewhat) for 4k Discs is beginning to garner consumer mind share. Dolby Atmos already has it.

As Steve said this is about trying to break the Dolby duopoly.

Am I right in thinking Sony are only updating their US TVs to take this? No european update?

Thanks for this article, Steve. This is interesting, but it looks like i'd have to change my present Sony TV, which i'd been thinking of.

What about Sony AVR's ?? I have the DN1080, which i hope would be compatable, or that Sony would make it so ?
I know Sony are planning on upgrading some of the AVRs but I don't know which ones. In addition, Sony only appears to be upgrading equipment sold in the US.

Actually I've just reviewed the Denon X6500 and it does have a peel-off IMAX Enhanced badge stuck on the front.

This will be before later made samples will have it laser etched on the chassis as with all the other logos. Coo that means an extra sticker then. :love: What a load of crock. :rolleyes:

This will be before later made versions will have it laser etched on the chassis as with all the other logos. Coo that means an extra sticker then. :love: :rolleyes:

My local tattoo parlour are doing a special on both this and THX next month! :lesson:

oops should have posted a bargain thread.

Buy one and get another free. That means one for each cheek :)

Dolby Vision (for streaming and somewhat) for 4k Discs is beginning to garner consumer mind share. Dolby Atmos already has it.

As Steve said this is about trying to break the Dolby duopoly.

Agree here, it's part of a larger strategy, with Dolby Vision rolling out cinemas, I think I read recently IMAX doing the same, even in the UK. It's so the IMAX brand can be seen to trickle down to the home as a seal of 'getting the cinema experience at home'.

Agree here, it's part of a larger strategy, with Dolby Vision rolling out cinemas, I think I read recently IMAX doing the same, even in the UK. It's so the IMAX brand can be seen to trickle down to the home as a seal of 'getting the cinema experience at home'.
It's an interesting idea and if I didn't just spend stupid money on Atmos I might have even entertained the notion of IMAX certification, however briefly.

DTS no longer has a presence within cinemas though and IMAX's appeal has been relative to the screen size you get in IMAX theatres. How on earth does IMAX Enhanced actually convey what you get in the cinema at home? Isn't IMAX's appeal its theatre experience? DTS sold off their cinema sound division in 2007 and how will home theatre enthusiasts recreate an IMAX screen in their living room?

The fact that this board had to go ask what IMAX Enhanced is says it all. IMAX themselves are being overly vague as to what it is or does and I suspect many will go buy products badged with it without need of it or any understanding of it.

You are not going to get the IMAX experience if using IMAX Enhanced certified products. You will be paying for it though and that is its purpose. This is simply a new revenue stream for DTS and IMAX.

Last edited:
How about "electronically enhanced stereo" you know the type from years ago used on mono LP's (oops vinyl) and CD's to "improve" them. :boring:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom