1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is HTPC exactly?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mrprelude, May 27, 2002.

1. mrprelude

mrprelude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Peeps

Sorry to sound thick, but what is this HTPC business you are all mentioning?
    I am considering a Panny PT AE100 and would obviously like to get the most out of it.
    I don't have a PC and I am not likely to get one for quite some time, so is there some sort of image improvement device I can use which will (I presume) connect between my DVD player and forthcoming PJ.
    If you decide to use words such as "Descaler" and "Line doublers" etc. in your replies, could you briefly explain what these items are?
    I used to be fairly au fait with hi-fi and A/V, but things are starting to fly way over my head, especially in the projectors department.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Home Theater Personal Computer...HTPC

It's a fancy name for a PC that has been optimised for playback of video material from DVD or from external sources such as VCR, Satellite....May also have CD replay, gaming and internet features just like normal PC's.

Dscaler is a free piece of software that most folk run on their computers. It's purpose is to turn interlaced video material from external sources in to a de-interlaced progressive signal that a computer monitor, plasma, projector requires in order to function at its best.

Gordon

3. mrprelude

mrprelude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much, Sir.

Good old plain English!

4. bonzichrille

bonzichrille
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another essential aspect of a HTPC combined with a projector is the ability to scale the dvd picture on to the pixelmatris. For exampel, the ptae-100 has the akward wide-vga panel, which combined with a PAL DVD results in a down scaled picture (the projector has to alter the frame in order for it to fit it's pixel panel). The HTPC, on the other hand, can produce a perfact match (858*484) and therefore bypass the projectors internal scaler. This reslults in a very clean and "film like" experience.

And yeah, the HTPC signal is progressiv. Most dvd-players will produce a interlaced signal.

5. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am in the middle of building my HTPC.
    I have built many a PC, usually resulting in me pulling my hair out.
    I reckon you can spend about £400 to get a good machine!
    Although this doesn't include a monitor, don't know what other people do but unless I can find a little monitor, I will use the panny output.

Cheers

Chris

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of putting together a pc purely for use with the ae100. I presume i won't need a monitor so what do you think would be the minimum cost. From what i have read so far, it seems a better and cheaper option than the iScan Pro. My current pc, which i will keep is a 2 year old toshiba laptop and i doubt very much if it would be up to spec---besides i like to keep this one for annoying you all lol. Many thanks for your help.

7. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I recently put a PC together with Duron 950, Radeon VE, etc, WITH 17" monitor for £356 inc VAT. This is hardware cost only. It only had a CDrom rather than DVD in, but considering you can getthe Liteon 163 for £30 plus VAT, that's not a bit extra. Memory's down in price, too, at the mo'. 256Mb of 2100DDR for £28 ish ar ebuyer.com