What is HDMI and HDCP?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Captain chaos, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please explain what HDMI and HDCP is please?

I understand HDCP is to do with copy-protecting high definition material, but have no idea how it works...

2. David Allum

David Allum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  3. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    That is a good insight, good link David:smashin:

Cheers

Croc

4. mgoldsmith

mgoldsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Infocus website has an excellent FAQ on DVI and HDCP. The most interesting comment seems to be on backward compatibility with one device that has Standard DVI (like the Sim2 HT300 Plus projector) and a source that has DVI with HDCP (like the marantz dv8400 DVD player).

http://sae.infocus.com/site/faq.jsp#3_1

=====================================
    What does HDCP do for me as a user?

HDCP allows you to view movies in high definition format. Video sources playing high definition movies connected to projectors without HDCP are required to reduce the resolution of their outputs. The idea is to allow users of older projectors without HDCP to view new movies (albeit in lower resolution), but not allow thieves to make high definition copies. Owners of projectors with HDCP will be able to view high definition movies in full high definition resolution.
    ======================================

Given that DVD, for example, is NOT hi-def, i was a bit confused as to why they would have HDCP on-board, and the only thing i could think, is some DVD players "upsample" to a higher resolution before outputting, though i thought this only occurred on the component progressive output stage and not the DVI stage..problem is there's not enough techo-babble on what these new devices with DVI are capable of at this stage.

Hopefully that sheds a bit more light on the subject for any as confused as i am over D-V-I/H-D-M-I/H-D-C-P/E-I-E-I-O :)

Matt.G

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    1) it makes DVDs more expensive because the publishers have to pay yet more license fees to those that own the technology.

2) it means I have to upgrade my hardware more regularly as the standard changes and this year's DVI/HDCP becomes obsoleted by next years .. oh, and those that own the technology get MORE license fees from the hardware makers.

Summary: I pay more for no good purpose.

:rolleyes:

What, a cynic, moi? ;)