What is Google playing at?

LYNX1

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have always supported Google's Android OS as a competitor to Apple's OS.

But lately I feel Google has really dropped the ball.

For a start off we see the Motorola XOOM rushed out two weeks before ipad 2. With a very unstable version of Honeycomb. I then read an article by Andy Rubin where he freely admits that the operating system was rushed out. :rolleyes:

Then shorty after I read that Honeycomb will be dead and buried by the end of the year. As Ice Cream Sandwich will be being released. :rolleyes: Talk about consumer confidence.

If Google has any brains they need to release Ice Cream Sandwich NOW! There needs to be an Android Tablet in the shops for Christmas with ICS, Tegra 3, and a super high resolution screen similar to a retina display. The device also needs to be very slim.

No doubt though Google will release the code late probably about two weeks before ipad 3 is released.

Sadly Google has completely wasted 2011 so far.

Its also worth noting that the usb port on the Xoom is still not working after six months.

For a start off we see the Motorola XOOM rushed out two weeks before ipad 2. With a very unstable version of Honeycomb. I then read an article by Andy Rubin where he freely admits that the operating system was rushed out. :rolleyes:

If Google has any brains they need to release Ice Cream Sandwich NOW! There needs to be an Android Tablet in the shops for Christmas with ICS, Tegra 3, and a super high resolution screen similar to a retina display. The device also needs to be very slim.

eh? you're criticising Google for rushing Honeycomb but saying they need to release ICS as soon as possible? perhaps they have learnt from the mistakes of when a hash of it was made with Honeycomb?

Plus, it's up to hardware manufacturers to make solid devices. Yes some have been lacklustre but there has been some great products (the transformer, the tab 10.1 etc) There is very good competition and 2011 is not done yet. Be patient my friend :smashin:

eh? you're criticising Google for rushing Honeycomb but saying they need to release ICS as soon as possible? perhaps they have learnt from the mistakes of when a hash of it was made with Honeycomb?

Plus, it's up to hardware manufacturers to make solid devices. Yes some have been lacklustre but there has been some great products (the transformer, the tab 10.1 etc) There is very good competition and 2011 is not done yet. Be patient my friend :smashin:

I'm just thinking that Honeycomb is pretty much finished. So they might as well release ics. I certainly won't be purchasing a honeycomb tablet. I Will wait now for ics. Who knows if honeycomb tablets will be upgradable to ics?

The manufacturers then, must have some very fine tablets out for Christmas. If they want to compete with apple.

Hopefully we do see a kick as$ android ics tablet out. With tegra 3, retina display.

I have to agree with dc8900 here.

There is no benefit to the consumer at all to hasten the release of ICS until it works properly. Bear in mind also that this has the potential to fail on both tablet and phone platforms if they get it wrong.

Regarding stability the OS worked OK for me from v3.0. The issues you mention with the Xoom have been fixed for a while now, the final tweaks being in Honeycomb 3.2.

I have come across several apps that force closed but invariably these get repaired with app updates and bug fixes, so again nothing to do with Google or the OS.

The underlying issue in need of a fix is Google's roll-out policy. USA version of the Xoom gets updates well before the the rest of the globe. It is this that needs fixing by passing on the updates globally to all devices at the same time.

The OS is by no means perfect, but neither is Windows almost three decades later.

As for Tegra3 and retina, these are hardware changes upon which Google probably have no influence.

At least they admitted the mistakes they made and fixed them. I'd rather that than them try and cover it up.
IF they do release this tablet you ask for are you sure you wont be posting another thread asking for a tablet with a tegra 4 and cornetto baguette? ;) There is always something more exciting 3 months down the line.

I'm just thinking that Honeycomb is pretty much finished. So they might as well release ics. I certainly won't be purchasing a honeycomb tablet. I Will wait now for ics. Who knows if honeycomb tablets will be upgradable to ics?

The manufacturers then, must have some very fine tablets out for Christmas. If they want to compete with apple.

Hopefully we do see a kick as$ android ics tablet out. With tegra 3, retina display.

Please don't quote 'Retina display', there is no such thing other than an Apple marketing buzz word, its just an LCD!

Please don't quote 'Retina display', there is no such thing other than an Apple marketing buzz word, its just an LCD!

yep its just a super sharp resolution

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom