What is good for Action Packed movies

ICP

Established Member
Reaction score
What I mean is, that you get this 2ms and 3ms and the HTz kicks in and what not, I don't know the difference and all and I have a full HD Monitor and also Full HD TV, but for some reason when I am watching a fast paced action sequence the monitor is like bluring and slows down.

What shall I be looking for in a Monitor and also a TV?

Plasma's have a quicker response time than LCD, which is what I assume you have, however I doubt the human eye would notice the difference between 2ms and 3ms. Could be that you've got an older/lower spec monitor than tv - what's the make/model of each?

What about LED screens

Moved to which TV forum - more activity here :)

Thanks matey, much appreciated

So to be fair I should go for Plasma screens instead of LCD and LED TV's then

LEDs are LED back lit LCDs and come in three forms. The cheapest and most widely available are edge lit, next are the full LEDs that cost a fair bit more and then theres the RGB LED sets that arent available for the home market (as far as Im aware).

Only benefits of edge lit realy is cost of running and they're thinner. They have the same issues as normal LCD with worse uniformity due to the lights being on the edges of the screen and can have worse clouding.

Full LED back lit sets have better black levels using local dimming. These sets can produce a good pic but are still LCDs so have the same issues.

RGB LED sets have coloured LEDs rather than the common W-LED used in the others, producing more accurate colours.

Im no expert but I know enough to prefer plasma over LCD.:)

LCD has viewing angle issues, blur with fast motion, uniformity issues, can have back light bleed, most have higher lag, black levels arent as deep as a good plasma and they have less shadow detail.

LCDs cost less to run, go brighter, are thinner and sharper than plasma and better for bright rooms due to matt screen and brighter image.

Plasma can get IR, cost more to run, some can see flicker and phosphor trails, not so good in very bright rooms, are bigger and heavier.

Plasma gives better motion, deeper blacks, more shadow detail, decent sets have more accurate colours out the box, lower lag, better SD IMO, higher contrast.

Im being quite general and its late so prob missing some things. Sets can vary a lot though generaly plasma is still seen as having better PQ for the money. Checkout the review section to learn some of the pros and cons.

Whats your budget by the way? also if you didnt know, the new sets are due out in the spring, so maybe worth waiting.

Last edited:
LEDs are LED back lit LCDs and come in three forms. The cheapest and most widely available are edge lit, next are the full LEDs that cost a fair bit more and then theres the RGB LED sets that arent available for the home market (as far as Im aware).

Only benefits of edge lit realy is cost of running and they're thinner. They have the same issues as normal LCD with worse uniformity due to the lights being on the edges of the screen and can have worse clouding.

Full LED back lit sets have better black levels using local dimming. These sets can produce a good pic but are still LCDs so have the same issues.

RGB LED sets have coloured LEDs rather than the common W-LED used in the others, producing more accurate colours.

Im no expert but I know enough to prefer plasma over LCD.:)

LCD has viewing angle issues, blur with fast motion, uniformity issues, can have back light bleed, most have higher lag, black levels arent as deep as a good plasma and they have less shadow detail.

LCDs cost less to run, go brighter, are thinner and sharper than plasma and better for bright rooms due to matt screen and brighter image.

Plasma can get IR, cost more to run, some can see flicker and phosphor trails, not so good in very bright rooms, are bigger and heavier.

Plasma gives better motion, deeper blacks, more shadow detail, decent sets have more accurate colours out the box, lower lag, better SD IMO, higher contrast.

Im being quite general and its late so prob missing some things. Sets can vary a lot though generaly plasma is still seen as having better PQ for the money. Checkout the review section to learn some of the pros and cons.

Whats your budget by the way? also if you didnt know, the new sets are due out in the spring, so maybe worth waiting.
What about 3D tv's same principle?

I was thinking of getting this Plasma LG 50PK590

What about 3D tv's same principle?

AH 3D yeah same pros and cons with both, plus plasma has less cross-talk than LCD. Best 3D sets of 2010 are the VT20, LG PX990 and Samsung C7000 IMO, all three are plasma and have great reviews in the review section.

Also IMHO the best sets of 2010 are the Panasonic G20, V20, VT20 and LG PK590, PK990 and PX990. All reviewed here, all great sets(by no means perfect) and I also own a 42'' V20. Review section here http://www.avforums.com/reviews/

Also worth reading reviews on HDTVTest, these reviewers are pros and go into great detail with very expensive testing kit.

......yes Im plasma biased,:) for good reason though, I spent around a year researching before getting my latest set.

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting this Plasma LG 50PK590

A good set and IMO the best value for money. LGs only real down sides are the reflective screen and slightly worse IR compared to the Panasonics, the lags higher than the Panasonics too but many dont notice. The more expensive PK990 is worth looking at if you have the money, has an AR filter and deeper blacks.

Other options are the Panasonic S20 and G20, I'd have the 590 over the S20 but the G20 is a better set IMHO even with the 50hz issue, only prob is the 50'' costs a lot more.

Sorry to be a pest but what does Lags mean, what difference does it make and also plasma's are notorious for screen burns as I know from before I bought my LCD, so should I be worried about the screen burn issue if I went for this LG Plasma?.

Money isn't an issue but have my limits to certain things in life.

After reading your other post you spoke about energy consumption, this is the LG's
Power Consumption - Standby = 0.2
Power Consumption - Normal Use = 192

Is this something to be worried about and also what is the average life span of these particular Screens?

Thanks Scooby

Lag is an issue for gaming potentially, but you don't mention that

Screen burn is now virtually unheard of , temporary image retention (where toy can see the residue of a logo etc against a pale background) can happen and as Scooby says, LG plasmas are more susceptible but it does go away

Read this to dispel some of the nonsense about plasma. If you want good motion handling, LCD generally cannot touch plasma in the same price bracket :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plas...sing-plasmas-plasma-lifespan-information.html

Before you get your heart set on plasma, mind these points:

Plasma screens are glass not plastic, this makes them comparatively more fragile than LCD/LED tvs. They need to be transported upright, which can cause a minor headache if you order a 50" panel and try to fit it into a small hatchback :blush:

The other issue with plasma is that the glass is quite glossy - this means you'll have stronger reflections, if you're intending to use it in a room with windows opposite, or strong light sources then you may find the reflections too much - LCD panels don't have this so bad as they're plastic and have a satin-y screen.

Plasmas are also not as bright as LCD. So side by side in a bright room, the plasma will look dull. This isn't an issue for your typical home user as most the time you'd dim the room lights to watch a film anyway, but it is worth bearing in mind.

In the right situations none of the above is a deal breaker, the first point is merely logistics, the second two are simply about the ideal environment. After all the above I still went for a plasma..

I have set my heart out on the LG Plasma I just mentioned above, mate of mine is saying get a LED screen but here the plasma is getting better reviews than LCD and LED screens.

So my question is I have £650 to spend and I want that LG I was looking at unless someone else tells me to pay £650 towards something else.

Remember I will want it for Fast paced action movies and Football, so what you guys think?

Good choice, just be aware that these are very reflective as someone who bought one just found out. Check out the owners thread in the plasma forum

Imagine the tv is placed right in front of you and the Window is on the left hand side of the wall, just concerned about the ceiling lighting.

That was the other chap's concern too

Well thank goodness I have dimming facility, but I do have mateswho can't watch without bright lighting, I guess I have to not invite them over and watch it in his house when it is my turn

Power consumption wise I dont worry myself, to get an LED set thats PQ is anywhere near the PK590 you will spend any savings made on buying the set IMO.

Plasmas are made to look good in a home environment, bright room doesnt necessarily mean a well lit room. You dont need to be living in a cave to own a plasma. Bright room to me is like a conservatory or room with several winows and bright walls.

I have a well lit room and my V20 is easily bright enough and blacks are deep. I dont however have a big window in front of my set, my main bay window is atualy behind.

As said the LGs are very reflective so if you get reflections on your CRT then it will be the same, maybe worse. The Panasonic G20 and Vs have a fantastic filter on the screen, when they first came out I actualy thought I was looking at an LCD from a distance, as the screen was just as black as the LCDs next to it in my local JL.

Like I say, plasmas are sold as a home TV so wilst indeed bright light can wash them out especially bright store lighting, most home environments should be fine, you just need to apply a bit of common sense, as indeed they have a glass screen.

Last edited:
Now I am in two minds, frustrating

Looking at the Panasonic TX50G20B now, is that better than the LG I was looking at?

Also is this a slim or a bulky TV out of the two

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom