Question What is going on here ? Sony KD55X8509

leemcl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought a Sony KD55 X8509 from Currys ( possible that's my first mistake ) anyway it arrived Wednesday and all fine until yesterday. When a little pop up message started appearing in the left lower of screen that said "Full Screen Mode" it would flash up, stay for 10 seconds and then go. It's made a reappearance a couple of times tonight. There is no logical reason this should be happening.

Then a little while ago I was just watching Looper on BBC2 HD and in a dark scene with a light in the background I got the most horrific Blu banding on the picture. I've never seen anything like it, ever ! What on earth is going on ? Is this a dud TV that needs to go back or are these issues inherent with 4K TV ? Pictures attached. Hope someone can advise me.

I am thinking this sucker needs to go back ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    988.2 KB · Views: 116
Hi All,

I bought a Sony KD55 X8509 from Currys ( possible that's my first mistake ) anyway it arrived Wednesday and all fine until yesterday. When a little pop up message started appearing in the left lower of screen that said "Full Screen Mode" it would flash up, stay for 10 seconds and then go. It's made a reappearance a couple of times tonight. There is no logical reason this should be happening.

Then a little while ago I was just watching Looper on BBC2 HD and in a dark scene with a light in the background I got the most horrific Blu banding on the picture. I've never seen anything like it, ever ! What on earth is going on ? Is this a dud TV that needs to go back or are these issues inherent with 4K TV ? Pictures attached. Hope someone can advise me.

I am thinking this sucker needs to go back ?
Mine doesn't do that, think you need to get it replaced, definite fault. The screen mode flashing up is an intermittent issue that many people have reported to Sony.

Thanks for the reply. How do you find yours overall ? I am impressed ( issue aside ) I don't know if the contrast is the best, especially when switching scenes.

Do you use a Soundbar with the TV one came with my TV ( HT-CT780 ) but I am not sure I want to unbox and use as I have a Sony Home Cinema Blu Ray System, although that's a couple of years old and does not have the 4K features of the Soundbar

Thanks for the reply. How do you find yours overall ? I am impressed ( issue aside ) I don't know if the contrast is the best, especially when switching scenes.

Do you use a Soundbar with the TV one came with my TV ( HT-CT780 ) but I am not sure I want to unbox and use as I have a Sony Home Cinema Blu Ray System, although that's a couple of years old and does not have the 4K features of the Soundbar

It's taken a bit of getting used to but I like it, I don't bother switching scenes as such- I've set up cinema pro for my Sony bluray all in one and cinema home for sky, game for ps4 and graphics for a PC. I didn't get a sound bar with mine but enabling HDMI control it all works fine together. I did calibrate mine with a meter and highly recommend you do so too. The only issue of any consequence is slightly blue edges but I've mostly dialled that out using the 10pt gamma settings.
Ps nowt wrong with currys, where mine came from, and they've swapped TV's before for me

I saw that blue effect too, I was watching on a much older HD Samsung, so I don't think it's your particular TV. Looks like deliberate but extreme lens flare to me, although the colour was very odd. It looked out of gamut but my TV isn't calibrated.

I saw that blue effect too, I was watching on a much older HD Samsung, so I don't think it's your particular TV. Looks like deliberate but extreme lens flare to me, although the colour was very odd. It looked out of gamut but my TV isn't calibrated.
Think it's just a bit of edge bleed, and as Sony use blue LEDs with their tri luminos displays its why it's blue I reckon

Definitely not edge bleed, way too intense in colour and quite a way from the edge.

Definitely not edge bleed, way too intense in colour and quite a way from the edge.
Haha sorry thought you were op talking about my blue edges. No that's not edge bleed, definitely something wrong there, wonder if the colour space isn't BT.709

I have had the TV replaced. The new one is in the box still and hopefully when set up tomorrow there will be no further issues.

If anyone knows the correct calibration for this TV I would appreciate a link ?

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom