1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is DVI?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Alan Pressley, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Alan Pressley

Alan Pressley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this has been covered before. I have done a search but am still confused.

I noticed that a number of people have bought Yamakawa DVD players as they have a DVI output.
    Would feeding a projector through a DVI cable provide a better picture than through component cables?

Please answer in simple terms :blush:

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
  3. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    dvi is a pure digital output, component is not. the advantage if you have a dvi display is the player can output different resolutions, if your projector is say an 1280x720 lcd (720p) the player can output the dvd in this resolution matching the projectors res 1:1. meaning no scaling of the image at all leaving a picture that was digital from the dvd all the way down the cable to the projector and on to the screen without being converted to analog at all,leaving you with an outstanding image. Where component was converted to analog in 2 stages. (by the player to analog down the cable to projector then converted and scaled by the projector.)

I hope that is clear

4. Alan Pressley

Alan Pressley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both very much.

I really appreciate the speed and detail of your link/answer :)