What is DTS-HD Master Audio

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Polly_31, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Polly_31

Polly_31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Can anybody explain me very simply what DTS-HD Master Audio is?

I have a Sony KDL32v4000 with a Sony DAV-DZ 260 but miss the Blu Ray function.

The description for the Sony BDP-S350 says that it has no internally decode DTS-HD Master Audio.

Can the DAV-DZ 260 do that instead of the Player? And what exactly is this, something like Dolby 5.1?

Would be great if somebody can help me with this :)

2. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    It's a Lossless Audio system, it's similar to Dolby 5.1 in that it is a type of audio, but Dolby 5.1 is near the bottom of the surround sound tree, DTS-MA is pretty much the top!

Your All In One system will not be able to do it no.... what you will hear from the player is the 'core' of it, which is basically a very high quality DTS stream... sounds excellent so don't worry!

3. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    Good read here on all the HD audio soundtracks. :smashin:

4. IAN P

IAN P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,042
    Guide and explanation here.

5. Ralphy1981

Ralphy1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    DTS HD MA is LOUD :devil:

6. Polly_31

Polly_31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Thank you very much for your fast reply's - really amazing how many responses I got in that short time!! :thumbsup:

Just to see if I understood this right so far.... If I would have a blu ray player which has a DTS-HD Master Audio onboard than I could listen to the full sound over the DAV-DZ 260?

In the links you gave me, it says that DTS-HD Master sends at a much higher bit rate. Without haven heard the DTS-HD Master Audio before (only DTS) how would you describe the difference between them? Is it really worth it, mentioning that I live in a flat and might never be able to fully pull up the volume thanks to my nightbours :(

Many Thanks,
    Chris

7. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    Hi. :)
    I don't think you can with DAV-DZ 260,this your system here? looks like it's DD/DTS only.
    All he best.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  8. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    No, you will not hear DTS-MA on the system you have, you would need an amp able to decode the audio internally or accept it 'LPCM over HDMI' sadly neither of these apply.

With the system you currently have and based on what you're saying about your room, i wouldn't get cut up on it at all.... 'only DTS' will still sound stunning... it's not as good, but the differences become far more apparent on very high end gear than on the 'cheaper' stuff.

Hope this helps.... If you already have that system, the best player you could buy in my opinion would be the Samsung BD-P1500, this converts all HD Audio into the 'core DTS' i described above, this is very high quality and will ensure that what you hear is the very best available with your speakers.... sadly no other players other than Samsung offer this feature... the Sony would give you good audio but in my opinion not as good as the Samsung...

The Samsung is really rather cheap too!
    Samsung BD-P1500/XEU - Blu-ray Disc Player: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo