1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is "DSX" ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MarcoBiscotti, Oct 9, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somebody please explain the benefit od DSX function on my HD Leeza?

The only information I've gathered online means little to me: Dynamic Non Linear Stretch Mode.

What is this and why should I enable or disable it when adjusting aspect ratios?

For whatever reason, the option to select DSX is only applicable when selecting a 1.33:1 fullframe a.r. input on the Leeza. I believe it is currently set to "off" however I played around with it a little and may have offset the digits - I think it was preset to +28 and I'm not sure if this is some kind of zoom function or whatnot?

I want to make sure it's nothing like a keystone function which apparently doesn't cooperate well with my pj. Selecting keystone through remote function on the projector to offset the geometry of the screen causes this ugly "wavy" motion to appear in the camera pans during certain long shots and wide sequences in films. I don't know if this is at all related, but eitherway I'm curious to find out what it's all about and whether I should leave it tuned off or learn to embrace it?

I'd really appreciate if somebody could give me a basic rundown...

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Don't know about the Leeza specifically, but 'Dynamic Non Linear Stretch Mode' is often called "Smart" or "Just" or "Stretch" mode on 16:9 televisions. It converts 4:3 picture to 16:9 shape. It does this by stretching little in the centre, but more and more towards the edges.

StooMonster

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm feeding a 1:1 native process through my projector so that the Leeza can output the exact a.r. of the source material onto my 16x9 screen. I simply have to adjust the correct aspect ratio through the Leeza's remote by inputting the source ratio and than the desired output (which obviously coincide!).

When viewing 4x3 material (pre-1950's films) on my 16x9 projection screen however, the picture does consume the entire area of the screen and is not regulated to the center alone. I;m not sure if this is a zoom function or if indeed the image is being stretched however I've never noticed any distortion in the image. Incidentally, the DSX mode has always been set to "OFF".

I'm not sure what this means?

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question...

Does DSX distort the image quality at all and if you had the option, would you select it for viewing?

It's turned on right now because I was having a serious problem with the keystone corrections on my projector and had to bring the levels to 0 which offsets the geometry of the image and screen. Watching 4x3 material would be awful right now because the top of the image is larger than the bottom and if you can see the borders of the frame as you can watching 4x3 content on a 16x9 display... it would be a major eyesore! The border fo the image would slant all over the screen... so right now DSX is selected to reduce the impact of this offset. It's obviously much less noticeable when the image fills the entire real estate of the screen.

Not that I plan to leave it like this, as I'm getting the projector brought down and realigned next week... but I'm curious whether anyone would select this funtion even with perfect conditions or if the pq or image res. would be effected at all?

It's hard for me to tell right now givent he fact that everything's quite a mess without the keystone and a few other minor issues I have, but would the stretching be at all noticeable or is it better to just stick without it when viewing 4x3 content in future?

Thanks!

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    DSX distorts the edge of the image, making things look fat a squashed. I prefer zoom for 4:3 sources which zooms in both directions.