What is Dolby Vision? - article discussion

Thanks Steve - Another good article in the current series being published by the team which will be added to my av reference bookmarks. Think I will need a couple of reads to fully digest everything and just hope there is no exam at the end.

Really interesting article. I look forward to what 2017 will bring. Many thanks!

Wonder if there are any murmurs of a DV capable projector... progress has been really slow with DV.

Thanks Steve.

I have read that Dolby Vision was also designed to be delivered over HDMI 1.4, which is another reason why widespread adoption by the TV manufacturers would have been nice.

Edit: By that I mean to be backwardly compatible with HDMI 1.4.

Last edited:
Great article...and makes me glad I have not jumped into the 4K format yet! Mind you, before all the 4K standards have settled down we'll probably be getting into the next format- 8K Super Hi-Vision in 2020.
:rolleyes:

Thanks Steve.

I have read that Dolby Vision was also designed to be delivered over HDMI 1.4, which is another reason why widespread adoption by the TV manufacturers would have been nice. Edit: By that I mean to be backwardly compatible with HDMI 1.4.
I'm not sure about that, it might be backwards compatible with HDMI 2.0 rather than 2.0a but 1.4 seems unlikely. The real question is can Dolby Vision deliver dynamic metadata without needing HDMI 2.1?

I'm not sure about that, it might be backwards compatible with HDMI 2.0 rather than 2.0a but 1.4 seems unlikely. The real question is can Dolby Vision deliver dynamic metadata without needing HDMI 2.1?

There should be no question over whether Dolby Vision can deliver dynamic metadata over current HDMI - it can work with HDMI 1.4, see Dolby Vision Tries To Set Bar For HDR | HD Guru

Great article, very clearly explaining what could easily become incomprehensible in the wrong hands! Thank you.

Wonderfully erudite as ever Steve...fab read.:thumbsup:

Maybe IF Dolby waive their Licencing Fees to the TV manufacturers, is it beyond the realms of possibility this could be the conduit for them to bring more manufacturers on board... unlikely I know, but just a thought.

Hi Steve
I am a bit worried about this HDMI 2.1 because dynamic metadata is sooo important irrelevant of hdr10 or Dolby vision
Samsung Made a proposal a while ago.
Do you think it is possible we have some kind of consolidation or announcement this year ?
What is the impact on current tv's if it is hardware? Imagine buying a zd9 and not having dynamic metadata...
It may take me 3 years to pay for the tv so that will kill me.. Don't care about other improvements
Your comments welcome !!!

I asked a number of manufacturers at IFA about dynamic metadata but I got conflicting answers with some saying that it would require HDMI 2.1 and other saying they might be able to do it with 2.0a. I got the general impression that dynamic metadata wasn't a priority as far as the manufacturers were concerned and that HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) and HFR (High Frame Rate) were more important now that the UHD broadcast standards are nearing completion. Is dynamic metadata really important at the moment? I also spoke to the BDA who said that dynamic metadata wasn't even included in the specifications for Ultra HD Blu-ray. So if dynamic metadata is introduced on HDR10 it might be primarily for streaming in which case HDMI 2.0a/2.1 would be less of an issue because the TV could decode it internally. If you're waiting to buy a TV, I think the more important aspect is going to higher frame rates because 100p makes a huge difference to watching sport.

I asked a number of manufacturers at IFA about dynamic metadata but I got conflicting answers with some saying that it would require HDMI 2.1 and other saying they might be able to do it with 2.0a. I got the general impression that dynamic metadata wasn't a priority as far as the manufacturers were concerned and that HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) and HFR (High Frame Rate) were more important now that the UHD broadcast standards are nearing completion. Is dynamic metadata really important at the moment? I also spoke to the BDA who said that dynamic metadata wasn't even included in the specifications for Ultra HD Blu-ray. So if dynamic metadata is introduced on HDR10 it might be primarily for streaming in which case HDMI 2.0a/2.1 would be less of an issue because the TV could decode it internally. If you're waiting to buy a TV, I think the more important aspect is going to higher frame rates because 100p makes a huge difference to watching sport.

Best answer I have read in a while, thank you @Steve

I think I am a bit clearer what my next tv needs to be able to do in term of spec. Hlg and Hfr are becoming very important indeed. Only lg seemed to have announced it is included, not sure about the others. Probably an announcement is coming with finalised broadcasting standard.
I Will keep tuned

Last edited:
I find the manufacturers' response somewhat alarming. There a lot of people ( myself included ) wanting to upgrade their displays. We need to be certain about future proofing our purchases if we are going to spend a considerable amount of money. I also want to upgrade my AVR and have the Denon AVR-X4300H in my sights. Do I need to review its spec' as well?

Yes you will, if it becomes necessary to use HDMI 2.1 then the receivers will also need to support that version. We're in the middle of the biggest upheaval in TV technology in the last two decades, so unless you absolutely have to buy a TV now, I'd wait to see what gets announced at CES.

Geez what a bloody mess, so it's highly likely something like the Sony zd9 as good as it's likely to be might be outdated by next year and be missing some pretty key features. Absolute shambles this whole 4k / hdr roadmap has been with people laying out a lot of money and being left with 2nd rate equipment. Manufacturers owe it to consumers to clarify whether any of this years sets can do hlg or hfr especially Sony who are being very economic with facts and specs just lately

Just when I thought it was safe to go back.:rolleyes:

Not to mention the guys at Spectracal (Stacey Spears) pointed out that the LG OLED'S Not being True 4k 3840 across pertaining to WRGB/RGB. Ok he did add that it may not be visible as alot of content is Upscaled 1080p... but nevertheless when you pay £4,5,6000 for a 4k Display then you expect it is 4k across the whole of the screen. I wonder if Samsung, Sony and Panasonic's TV's are 3840 across?

Not to mention the guys at Spectracal (Stacey Spears) pointed out that the LG OLED'S Not being True 4k 3840 across pertaining to WRGB/RGB. Ok he did add that it may not be visible as alot of content is Upscaled 1080p... but nevertheless when you pay £4,5,6000 for a 4k Display then you expect it is 4k across the whole of the screen. I wonder if Samsung, Sony and Panasonic's TV's are 3840 across?
Is that an up to date comment? I've not heard anyone say that about 2016 OLEDs

@d10brp....check out Spike_UK video post on the Philips 901f thread. Brilliant watch.

I got £400 off my KS9000, £170 off Samsung UHDBD player & £500 off Denon 4300. They know something we don't...

Yes you will, if it becomes necessary to use HDMI 2.1 then the receivers will also need to support that version. We're in the middle of the biggest upheaval in TV technology in the last two decades, so unless you absolutely have to buy a TV now, I'd wait to see what gets announced at CES.
Thanks, Steve. This and your post at #11 have helped me reach a decision. I've been wavering over whether to buy an OLED now the prices have dropped, and have come so close several times, but it's a no for now. I know I definitely want an OLED - I've literally never seen a better picture - but I'll wait until next year and see what gets announced at CES, pick up a 2017 model.

Appreciate the candour.

Dynamic metadata isn't manufacturers priority, as they will now market HLG/HFR and squeeze every ounce out of the consumer. And then in 12months it will be how they are embracing the all new version of HDR (dynamic metadata) as a must have feature to coincide with a new range of their latest TV tech. And yes I get the fact they are an evolving business not a charity...but the trust lines are wearing thin, for me the Industry has created this monster. #consumerexploitation

The rapacious nature of display AV Tech atm is frightening, as Steve said the AV industry is in Upheaval, the like of which we haven't seen in two decades.

Let's hope ces January will bring the answers we need

Was upset that pana didn't release an Oled but blessing in disguise. This will give them time to improve and get it right. Same for lg and the others

Q1 best time to buy a tv anyway (especially 2016 which are much cheaper) and we will hopefully know if they are future proof enough

The new crop will be announced too so enough choice to make a good enough decision :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom