1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Degausing?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pwoody, May 19, 2002.

1. pwoody

pwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently been advised to turn my TV fully off in order to Degause upon switch it back on. I can say it helped solve a colour patching problem & I was wondering if any of our more technical forum readers could explain what this does & if a Denon 3802 sitting underneath my Philips widscreen with approx 12cm clearance could cause screen problems in the future?

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The colour stain is most likely to be caused by the placement of magnets,contained within speaker cabinets,being placed in close proximity to your set. Look here . hth

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    This is a fairly common phenomenon of the CRT tube. Simple explanantion.......

Cathode Ray Tubes generally work on the principle of firing negatively charged electrons towards the screen. When these hit the screen they illuminate the phospher coating, hence the process of producing a picture etc etc....

Sometimes the gas in the tube becomes charged and this causes the precise firing of the electrons to stray from their intended target. When this happens it tends to cause colour impurities or patches on the screen, these usually tend to be ( but not necessarily) on the edges or corners of a screen.

This fault is most commonly caused by external effects of magnetism ie non magnetically shielded speakers placed too close to sides of the set.

Most sets do an automatic degauss if you switch them off and unplug them from the mains for about an hour or so. This usually corrects the problem. However in certain more severe cases a manual degauss or the "wand" maybe called for.

If that doesn't sort your problem it could unfortunately be the sign of a more serious problem with your tube.

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is no gas in the tube :)

The degaussing stabilizes the magnetic field in the shadow mask behind the screen.