• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What is currently the slimmest tv in the 30-40" range?

spanky2k

Established Member
Our Hitachi UT32MH70 is on it's way out at the moment and I can't find my RS 5 year warranty for it so we're thinking of replacing it. I'm struggling to find thin screens though - I swear a couple of years ago you could get 2 cm thick ones from the likes of LG and Samsung but everything seems to be 4 cm now. Have TVs really gotten thicker in the last couple of years?

spanky2k

Established Member
After doing some more digging it looks like there aren't any thin LED TVs anymore. It looks like it's because manufacturers stopped using edge-lit LEDs and moved to rear illumination LED TVs. Great for quality, crap for thinness which is what I'm after (it's for a bedroom). It looks like my only option is to find a used edge-lit LED TV from about 2011 like a D8000. Working out which models I can go for is tough though as old tech specs are hard to find.

spanky2k

Established Member
This is for a bedroom wall and needs to be as unobtrusive as possible. It's next to a door and close to the end of the bed, I don't want a huge TV sticking out into the room. I'll probably put a wooden frame around it and a half silvered mirror on top too to disguise it more which means it needs to be as thin as possible. If I wanted quality, I'd watch on my 64" plasma downstairs, this is for a bedroom though. Thinness used to be one of manufacturer's main selling points!

con100

Established Member
My 47” is so thin that it gives cause for concern. I dont trust the thing and dont expect it to last long.
I am of the old school where electrical goods were bigger and fuller figured so as to allow air to flow and components to breathe. I get that the led sets dont generate as much heat but they do have hotspots and "need" air to be circulating so as not to become stagnent and heat concentrated on the supply boards.
Although the tv seems to have ventilation, it is not designed to let Air Flow freely

spanky2k

Established Member
The thicker ones available now aren't bigger for more air flow though, it's just because they are back lit instead of edge lit. Edge lit basically have a ring of LEDs around the edge and shine in whereas back lit have an array of LEDs behind the LCD panel. The back lit ones have more even lighting and can make use of fancy stuff like local dimming to make contrast levels look better but they are thicker so as to accommodate the LEDs.

I've worked out that I'm going to need an older tv and am trying to find either a UE32D6530 or UE32D6510 but it's going to take a while to track one down that is appropriately priced for a TV of that age. Samsung 'D' series appear to be the last Samsung ones to use edge-lit LEDs so that's what I'm going for. The D65xx series has got things like the Smart Hub and wifi which would mean I could do away with the ageing Mac Mini HTPC I've got attached to our current TV.

con100

Established Member
Yeah, i suppose the TVs i was referring too were the old crt types that just seemed to last for ever in their big boxy cabinets. My mums bedroom tv is a crt and has been going strong in and is in its 19th year.
Dont get me wrong i love my sets functionality. Its smart hub its browser/wifi, the dnla/media sharing...Its all there and very convenient but the jury is out on the lifespan of these sets. We are now on our 3rd lcd/led in the space of 8 years with our previous two failing. Perhaps we have just been unlucky or is 3.5/4 years the average on tellies nowadays?

I guess i would get bored of my set before 19 years and "choose" to upgrade...But wouldnt it be amazing to have the option and peace of mind in the newer sets to have to wait that long?

The D series are a great tv...I hope you track one down soon

efunc

Established Member
I'm also after the same thing for similar reasons. Have done a search for the UE32D6530 or UE32D6510 but no one seems to have any stock left. 3cm depth, or less, would be ideal for wall mounting. Anyone have other suggestions? Thanks.

craynerd

Standard Member
I've just moved into a new house today and I'm in the same boat. Looking for a new tv to mount to our bedroom wall. The bedroom isn't massive and it'll be on a wall in front of the bed which needs walking past so can't stick out for practical reasons as well as looks.
I agree strongly about the idea of quality vs slimness. I don't want to watch a junk picture, but for the bedroom it's about how slim it is.

32" would be good for me. Any suggestions or second hand TVs to search for?

tele1962

Distinguished Member
To the OP still don't get why it has to be so thin, are you planning on picking it up and moving it around with you.:confused:

yan101

Established Member
i wouldnt go for an ultra thin one unless it was oled. in my experience you get alot of banding and dse from an ultra thin led tv. not always from it being edge lit either, ive seen terrible banding on a back lit led and hardly any on a thicker edge lit

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom