What is Crossfire...any pics?

barnsleyben

Hi all,

As per title am, I have heard a few buzzes about crossfire and it sounds cool in general but could someone please let me know where I can get some good solid idea of what it is and how I could use it? Ie any links or pics of how it works etc etc for now? Apologies if this is something written somewhere on the forums but I just couldn't find anything.

Thanks

Ben

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Crossfire is the name of the technology which enables you to use two of the same AMD GPUs together. NVIDIA have a similar technology but call theirs SLI.

There's some more info here: ATI CrossFireX

barnsleyben

Thank you :)

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
You're welcome :thumbsup:

barnsleyben

Ok, I've read through this and it seems maybe I have been misunderstanding. I thought the crossfire stuff was about having multiple monitors. I didn't really understand how that would have been better anyway..... Anyway. I have a HD 5870 which is pretty good but was wondering if it does actually get any better than that??? I mean is it not just throwing lots of money at it only to get very little performance increase, even as far as to say it is noticeable even??

LJx

Eyefinity is what ATI call it I think when you use 3 monitors, if you did that then you do need alot of GPU power and maybe crossfiring your 5870 would be good, but one 5870 on it's own is plenty powerful for one screen

sakil7395

Standard Member
Anyone post a picture if they have crossfire/sli in their rigs

curious to know what sort of gpus people have

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
Another reason why people Crossfire/SLI is to do [email protected] which is a huge international project run by Stanford university which uses the spare processing power of your CPU/GPU to perform calculations for medical research such as finding cures for diseases. People build rigs specifically for this purpose and leave them running 24/7, 365!!

There are leagues of top performers of which AVForums participates with it's own team which you can join. Be warned though, it's very addictive!

More info here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/[email protected]

AVForums Team: http://www.avforums.com/forums/comp...-join-avforums-folding-home-team-your-pc.html

next010

Distinguished Member
Ok, I've read through this and it seems maybe I have been misunderstanding. I thought the crossfire stuff was about having multiple monitors. I didn't really understand how that would have been better anyway..... Anyway. I have a HD 5870 which is pretty good but was wondering if it does actually get any better than that??? I mean is it not just throwing lots of money at it only to get very little performance increase, even as far as to say it is noticeable even??
You can pair 58xx generation cards with each other they don't have to be exactly the same model but given how cheap another 5870 is I don't think it would be worth picking up say a 5830 unless it was near free.

Overall the minimum frame rate is a little higher in Crossfire but you really wont see that much a performance increase unless your stressing the cards at high resolutions with high details and AA.

AMD made available their 6000 series MLAA anti-aliasing mode on the 5000 series I think in a driver update you can use that as a decent low cost AA mode at high resolutions. It's called morphological filtering in the AMD Catalyst control panel.

Infinity1

Standard Member
At first I thought you were talking about the game. :p

There's a game called Crossfire and it's actually quite good and free.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom