• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What is considered the best 1080p TV currently available?

chump

I'm keen to go down the 4k route eventually but as this will involve upgrading not just the TV but my amp also - it's something I'm not considering for a couple of years.

I currently have a 48" Samsung middle of the road 1080p TV. For most things it is 'respectable' but as its main use is watching films there is a huge issue with it that I can't live with anymore.

During panning shots the motion blur and judder is absolutely awful. Blacks are also terrible and washed out. It is also not as sharp as a previous older tv I had when watching Blu Ray (this TV was a warranty replacement with John Lewis).

So as 4K is out of the question for the time being what would be the best 1080p TV that I could currently buy with excellent blacks (at least for LED), excellent motion handling and a nice sharp picture?

I honestly don't mind spending say £1k - £1.5k for the right TV if it gets be a decent example that will do me for the next couple of years.

Ideally I'd like a 50-55" model.

So any ideas? I need to find that killer 1080p set that must be out there somewhere?

southeastjedi

LG's Full HD OLED TV - 55EC930V is supposed to be pretty damn good.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
That 1080p oled is real nice for 1500. Another 500 buys a 4k oled set....

Worth considering just for that slight bump in picture quality even if 4k is a few years away for you in true upgrade terms.

Edit- no. That 4k set will be 1200-1500 this time next year if not less, as OLED prices will tumble quickly on non top end sets. The 1080p set makes more sense for now.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom