What is considered high mileage??

hanmer

Standard Member
Hello

Im about to purchase a used Peugeot 407 coupe, however the car was registered in September 2006 and has over 30,000 miles on the clock. While over the life of the car I wouldn't consider 30k miles high, I would consider it to be high for being on the road for 16 or so months.

Maybe Im a bit paranoid as I have had my current car from new 2 and a half years ago and its done less than 20k miles. Obviously this 407 is going to be an ex-company car with high mileage.

In your opinion is 30k miles on a car 16 months old any cause for concern?

Thankyou
Brian

riget

Banned
It's higher than average, but it wouldn't be cause for concern for me.
It should still have 20 months warranty, so if the mileage is taken into acount of the asking price then go for it.

B

Bluehorse

Wouldn't worry at all.

If you stop and think about it, most of the miles would be motorway with the car running in top gear. Little or no clutch, gearbox or brake wear in most cases.

A lot of people get hung up on ultra low miles, but would you want the same car with 15000 miles for £2000 more and then find out the guy queued in traffic every day on the M25 pumping the clutch and stopping and starting all the time?

As your man says, the warranty is for 60000 miles and 3 years so you've got a lot of motoring ahead with only wear and tear to pay for.

GrahamC

In 2-3 years if you do low milage you can catch the milage back up again for re-sale. :thumbsup:

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
In 2-3 years if you do low milage you can catch the milage back up again for re-sale. :thumbsup:

ditto, if you do less then avg miles it will level out, plus it probably means any problems lurking have probably been noticed and rectified!

im driving a passat with currently 140k miles and no problems other than suspension arms and normal wear and tear/servicing. would have no issue buying the right car with over 100k again

hanmer

Standard Member
Cheers guys,

Like I said I know 30k miles isnt a lot when you look at how many miles the car will do in its lifetime, I was just concerned about that many miles in 16 months.

You have put my mind at ease, the mileage is reflected in the asking price and it has a full service history.

And as someone else mentioned: I will be doing lower than average miles in the car so I suppose over the years it will even out.

Thanks
Bri

D

Deleted member 27989

Cheers guys,

Like I said I know 30k miles isnt a lot when you look at how many miles the car will do in its lifetime, I was just concerned about that many miles in 16 months.

You have put my mind at ease, the mileage is reflected in the asking price and it has a full service history.

And as someone else mentioned: I will be doing lower than average miles in the car so I suppose over the years it will even out.

Thanks
Bri

I do about 35k miles / 12 months!!!! So that is very low mileage to me! My current car has got 158k miles on it, so at least still two years to go before I consider getting rid of it...

As said before, I rather have a car that was warmed up everyday and driven than one which got switched off before the engine was warmed up. Also higher mileage suggest more car friendly motorway miles unless it used to be a mini-cab!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom