1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is causing my overscan?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Slimchandi, May 15, 2005.

1. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a problem with my setup that's beginning to bug me.

I have a Yamada 6600 to a Bush 28" widescreen (don't laugh!). Whenever a I play a dvd I seem to suffer large amounts of overscan on the left and right, which ruins a lot of the picture composition.

My DVD player doesnt have an incremental zoom, only 2x. The funny thing is, if I zoom in to 2x then move around the screen, I still can't see the overscanned sections. If I zoom out I can see the correct picture. This is making me think the player is overscanning a large section before it reaches my telly.

How can I check my tv isn't causing the problems? If I freeze frame on the telly and swap between 4:3 and 16:9 there doesn't appear to be any lost from the edges in 16:9 mode.

Thanks for the help.

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    OK,
    UNless there is an option in the user menu( doubt it on a bush) the over scan will only be able to be adjusted in the TVs service menu.

Best way to test how much overscan there is is to use one of the test patterns on Digital Video Essentials or AVIA. If you do not have one of these then you may be able to use on eof the patterens on the THX optimiser which come on the starwars DVDs and some other highend discs .

It is possible that the overscan has been set differently on different inputs.

Pal RGB may be fine on 16:9 but out in 4:3
    Ntsc may be out on AV1 input but ok for AV2 ect.

3. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Slimchandi -

Is this only with DVD? What about terrestrial? Text? Still 'over scanning'?

There is a common fault with the AK19 chassis used in many Bush TV's which causes the symptoms you've got.

Report back with the results and the model number and I'll gladly help you further.

A. Dork

4. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think the problem is only with DVD at the moment, I am going to try rigging up a spare player and seeing what happens, but they both run on the Mediatek chip so i imagine it will be the same.

How can I check overscan from a different source? If I freeze frame a picture from DTT, and flick from 4:3 to 16:9, is that a good method of seeing how much is cropped from the sides or will I loose the same amount no matter what mode I am in?

Basically the question I would like to know is, is it normal for a DVD player to overscan over SCART? Surely it would project the disc as intended and leave overscan to the telly. But as I say, I have no way of knowing whether telly or DVD player is responsible.

5. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    I have a Yamada 6700 which is fine....Don't think yours will be duff.

Try it on analogue terrestrial, leave it in 16:9 - try teletext. Is it still doing it? What's the geometry like? Are the verticals vertical?

A. Dork

6. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For such a low end set the geometry is not noticably terrible, which is about as much as I can ask for. Less can be said about the whistle which can't be cured

Regarding teletext, I can't see any overscan, but the text is far from the edges of the screen. This doesn't really give me any clues, perhaps I am examining it in the wrong way? I could do with the BBC broadcasting a test card!

I'm still inclined to think the DVD player is at fault here (not so much fault as cause). I tried a Medion DVD player and seemed to get the same amount of overscan, but had no zoom out feature. I wouldn't mind so much but I know that I'm missing a fair chunk of the picture, (probably about 5% from either side).

Any more advice? I was planning on upgrading to a Pioneer 470 or 575, but if this is still likely to result in overscan might I be better going with a player that has an incremental zoom (XBox?)