What is Burn In?

drekkly

Standard Member
Hi
Just about to purchase a Panasonic [SIZE=+0]TH42PX80B[/SIZE] . Have been reading about 'burn in'. What it is it exactly and how long is the burn in period. Anything else a Plasma newbie needs to know before he plugs it on??

Many thanks

xit2050

What it is it exactly and how long is the burn in period. Anything else a Plasma newbie needs to know before he plugs it on??
The burn in period is generally about 200 hours during which you should turn down your contrast and brightness to about 50% and never leaving your set on dynamic (or something similar).
Some say it is no longer necessary to respect this period as plasma screens are so much better lately, but it can't hurt.
And, besides, if you're going the Panasonic route and turn contrast and brightness down to about 50% you're at the optimum settings anyway.

drekkly

Standard Member
Thanks for that. I agree the pic looks much better at 50% contrast anyway. I hear that Letterbox mode is a no no because of the black causing image burn? true? is this just for the burn in period - or always? I have set the Screen mode to Auto so it usually fills the entire screen but don't want to do any damage if I do use Letterbox Mode.

xit2050

I hear that Letterbox mode is a no no because of the black causing image burn? true? is this just for the burn in period - or always?
Never did it myself and have not seen the slightest hint of screen burn.
Occasionally, you may see a faint image retention, but that disappears after a couple of minutes.

Kalos Geros

I'm detecting a confusion here between burn-in and run-in?:rotfl:

Burn-in is a problem caused by accelerated aging of certain pixels in comparison to other pixel, usually caused by the same bright image being constantly introduced to a certain number of pixel and not letting them change brightness like other pixels (static white graphics, logos, HUD displays in games etc.)

image retention is different in that it leaves the imprint from bright signal but if the brightness changes ere-and-then, it washes away and never becomes a burn-in...

Run-in is a period where you do not drive the plasma cells to their maximum and let them "age" evenly in the first 200 hrs...

drekkly

Standard Member
Kalos - yes I was refering to Run-in. New plasma arrived Friday and wanted to know how best to run it in. Have set the brightness and contrast to around 50% and taken it out of dynamic mode. Thats enough right - for about 200 hours.

Not much I can do about logos on the screen - like BBC News 24 etc I guess that will always be a potential problem?. I was concerned about watching in Letterbox mode because I was told this could cause problems - but come to think of it I reckon that was a guy from Comet who told me that!

audiphile76

Novice Member
Kalos - yes I was refering to Run-in. New plasma arrived Friday and wanted to know how best to run it in. Have set the brightness and contrast to around 50% and taken it out of dynamic mode. Thats enough right - for about 200 hours.

Not much I can do about logos on the screen - like BBC News 24 etc I guess that will always be a potential problem?. I was concerned about watching in Letterbox mode because I was told this could cause problems - but come to think of it I reckon that was a guy from Comet who told me that!
Check out this thread. You will find many useful things here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/plas...anasonic-37-42-px80-series-owners-thread.html