1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is better than the PV500 at the moment?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bishman, Jun 29, 2005.

1. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Seen a few posts/threads now where people are saying that they are sick of all the posts about the PV500 and people going on about it like it's the last word in plasma TV.

so my question to all those saying that the PV500 isn't the be all and end all in plasma is this. If I'm looking to buy a plasma today, what options are there for an HD ready screen that are better than the PV500 and not above 42/43"?

Or do I have to go up to 50" to get the ideal screen?

Doesn't have to have speakers or a tuner, picture quality is number one prority and most viewing will be from DVD's at the moment.

I know the PV500 is a great screen and it's actually high on my list, so no need to post here saying how great it is. I just want to know what better options there are. :)

2. e_python

e_python

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer 435 :smashin:

3. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i agree,

but nothing is depending upon who answers this thread :eek:

4. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Based on the problems that are occurring on a number of pv500's then an xde :smashin:

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I would look to and await the new Pioneers or consider the 435XDE.

Contrast issues and dodgy panel driving circuitry seem to be the main bug bears of the Panny at the moment.

The PV500 is potentially a great set that to me appears poorly executed at the moment. It's not the be all and end all Plasma for sure in it's current incarnation. A lot of it is just the early response from over enthusiastic owners that is skewing the current opinion on these forums...take it all with a pinch of salt.

6. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well said ekko star....

i dont buy lower rhan 50" so cant comment myself on other 42 inchers...trhere are lots though to choose from

7. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The thread title is 'what's better than the PV500'? Well, apart from the 50" Fujitsu, I'd say nothing, as far as PQ is concerned. I don't think anyone would seriously argue that the Pios have better blacks than Pannys, and the Hitachis... ALiS is all I'd say. The new Samsung sounds promising, but few have actually seen them.

I kind of resent being labelled an 'over-enthusiastic owner' just because I did my research, looked at all the screens, and decided the PV500 was the best (can't fit a 50" in dilsher!). I don't have contrast issues, and I don't have the dual circuit line. Does that make me biased?

8. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nopes certainly don't Sulis mate...personally i would have waited for the arrival of the 42" HD8 though! It will be really interesting to see the Samsung when someone actually has one! If its as good as they say it could be a giant killer.

9. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Sulis,

the thing that annoys us is not the pv500 owners making structured comments, but pv500 owners creating endless threads to tell us they have one and that it is the best thing on earth when theyve upgraded from a 21" beko (argos wow offer), and have never seen another plasma in their life.

10. ajbeech

ajbeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    then perhaps you should make statements such as "and the Hitachis... ALiS is all I'd say." As a 42PD7200 owner, I'm thrilled with the PQ from all sources. A mate owns a PV500 and the difference in PQ is so slight as to not worry about. So yes, there are very good alternatives to the PV500 out there from Pio and Hitachi, we just dont feel the need to keep banging on about it and filling this forum up with over-excited guff!

11. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have the pv500 and the new samsung and all i can say is that they are both very good screens!! I may have a problem with my panny i dont know will have to research it as the blacks are not as good as i was led on to believe (maybe it was too much hype). I dont have these tellies in the same room but they are very comparable to each other, both screens say they have high contrast ratio's but to be honest they must be exagerating there claims by a mile as they dont seem anything special to me (both screens but samsung claims 10000:1 so they are more guilty). I have to admit that i can tell the difference with the colours both screens do an incredible job of depth in the colours slight edge to the panny though. The sammy is defo the one that is getting wall hung though as I think it will look alot better on the wall then the panny.

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yes plenty of guff going about the forums at the moment.

All PV500's have the auto contrast, it's a feature of the set.

All PV500's adopt dual scanning, it's the make up of the panel.

The Pioneer 435XDE is as good. Whilst panny panels generally tend to have the better contrast the auto contrast has scored so much of an own goal it's neck and neck with the Pioneer now.

Yes I am an OWNER of the PV500, have given it more than a chance and will do one more. It's nice to have pride in your new investment but one thing I can't do is kid myself nor anyone else. The Pioneer is just as good if not a more reliable offering against the first batches of PV500's.

13. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I shouldn't have been so dismissive of the Hitachis - the new ones are very good. They just don't do it for me, though - I'm always aware of the screen rather than the programme... That's just me.

It's not just the black levels of the PV500 I like - I have everything dialled down at the moment anyway for the next 100 hours - it's the lack of digital crap. White text scrolling down a black background just looks like text. That sort of stuff. I haven't seen that on previous plasmas, and certainly not on LCDs.

It looks like the next wave of screens will really raise the bar, the Panny PV500 is just one of the first, that's all. This can only be good for all of us.

14. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    That's a bit of an immature comment to make :mad:

I have got a 32" and 28" panasonic Tau 100hz CRT which I have compared my PV500 to.
    I have also had a demo (Av-Sales) of the new fujitsu 50" through a lumagen scaler, and a pio 435 going through exactly the same scaler.

15. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    out of interest mal, what did the xde look like through a scaler?

The xde is a plug and play and not as flexible as the panel only units but I'm curious as to how the xde would fair with a scaler?

Thanks. :)

16. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    mal,

maybe if you'd of read the whole post, you'd see that its some pv500 owners that annoy me, because it is a tv not a panel, its accesible to everyone, including newbs who don't know the difference between a plasma screen and potato. then they say its the best without having seen anything else. (perhaps it is the best but a lot of people say this to justify their £2k etc etc)

17. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Nonsense!

People who may not know a Plasma from a Potato would probably buy a Techwood from Dixons. Nothing wrong with that, but it's probably safe to say they generally won't go for a £3000 high definition set. I doubt it anyway.

18. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    but the ones that do think they are gods gift

19. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    It was connected up exactly the same as the Fujitsu and next to it.
    The picture on the Pioneer (not sure if it was FDE) was flat compared to the fujitsu, and a bit washed out.
    Pioneer owners, don't have a go, I am not sure if it was calibrated, but wasn't impressive I'm afraid.
    I went basically for a demo of the PV500 but they didn't have one in, but you could see the difference the scaler made on Gladiator, I will be getting this DVD to see if I can see the same defects on some of the scenes (jaggies, motion blurring)

20. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    No offence taken, I just wanted to justify my reasons for recommending the PV500.

I agree, there are too many posts at the moment, I wrote to the moderator about having a dedicated Panasonic forum or a sticky about general questions.
    I may go through the posts and make a general FAQ about the PV500 (on nights sooon) as there does seem to be too many seperate posts.

I am sure it will be the same with the new Pioneer/HD8 etc...