1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is better, DLP or LCD?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by fastlane247, Feb 17, 2005.

1. fastlane247

fastlane247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all i was wonding if anyone knows which of these 2 technologies is better. I know most of the differences but i have never actually herd anyone say which is better then the other. Are they abbout the same or is there a better one of the 2?

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wrong area for this, should be posted in LCD or DLP section...

It depends on what you're after. LCD can be hung on a wall, DLP cannot. DLP is sweet spot dependent like RPTV, far more than LCD is. DLP does achieve a reasonable black level which is an LCD weak point. They both have pro's and cons. I find the 'frosted glass' nature of DLP picture presentation to be off putting - this is very noticeable on the green spectrum which the eye is most sensetive to. Similarly the poor black level on LCD is something I cannot live with either. It's horses for courses. DLP lamps do have a finite lifespan depending on how you treat the TV, but then so does the backlight on an LCD - the difference being it's not specified on and LCD. I'd take the 10,000 hour claims on the bulbs for some DLP's with a pinch of salt. I think that is very optimistic to be honest. AS far as I know the maximum lifespan is around 5,000 hours but this is dependent on how the set is treated - they are very sensetive to sudden shocks or movement when hot and they don't have to be too severe to shorten the life of the bulb.

If I was choosing and these were the only two formats available I'd probabaly take LCD over DLP, but a huge advantage of DLP over LCD is screen size and price. A 45" LCD is about £5,000 whereas a 46" DLP is less than £1,500. Even a 37" LCD is aroud £2,000 whereas a 52" DLP is less than this. I'd recommend you go and see both in action and see what you think. You may find you hate both formats after a viewing!

I'd still take a CRT over both at the moment - but that's my view. A 36PD50 or 36ZP46/48 can be had for good money and give great pictures, better than both LCD and DLP in my opinion. The HD broadcast issue is still a long way from being resolved as far as broadcast standards are concerned - something which no CRT currently has capability for since no UK CRT based TV has HDMI or DVI inputs. But I don't see this as a problem as yet. I will most certainly wait and see what pans out over the next few years. Sky are meant to be launching HD this year but it will be a tiny service by all accounts - certainly not worth getting worked up about yet. Save your pennies and spend wisely - we are in a transitional period with TV and you could end up making an expensive mistake. if you are sold on a flat panel get a 32" LCD - they are around a grand to £1,500 now and most give good connectivity, some include HDMI inputs too.