what is better, DLP or LCD?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by fastlane247, Feb 17, 2005.

1. fastlane247

fastlane247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all i was wonding if anyone knows which of these 2 technologies is better. I know most of the differences but i have never actually herd anyone say which is better then the other. Are they abbout the same or is there a better one of the 2?

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wrong area for this, should be posted in LCD or DLP section...

It depends on what you're after. LCD can be hung on a wall, DLP cannot. DLP is sweet spot dependent like RPTV, far more than LCD is. DLP does achieve a reasonable black level which is an LCD weak point. They both have pro's and cons. I find the 'frosted glass' nature of DLP picture presentation to be off putting - this is very noticeable on the green spectrum which the eye is most sensetive to. Similarly the poor black level on LCD is something I cannot live with either. It's horses for courses. DLP lamps do have a finite lifespan depending on how you treat the TV, but then so does the backlight on an LCD - the difference being it's not specified on and LCD. I'd take the 10,000 hour claims on the bulbs for some DLP's with a pinch of salt. I think that is very optimistic to be honest. AS far as I know the maximum lifespan is around 5,000 hours but this is dependent on how the set is treated - they are very sensetive to sudden shocks or movement when hot and they don't have to be too severe to shorten the life of the bulb.

If I was choosing and these were the only two formats available I'd probabaly take LCD over DLP, but a huge advantage of DLP over LCD is screen size and price. A 45" LCD is about £5,000 whereas a 46" DLP is less than £1,500. Even a 37" LCD is aroud £2,000 whereas a 52" DLP is less than this. I'd recommend you go and see both in action and see what you think. You may find you hate both formats after a viewing!

I'd still take a CRT over both at the moment - but that's my view. A 36PD50 or 36ZP46/48 can be had for good money and give great pictures, better than both LCD and DLP in my opinion. The HD broadcast issue is still a long way from being resolved as far as broadcast standards are concerned - something which no CRT currently has capability for since no UK CRT based TV has HDMI or DVI inputs. But I don't see this as a problem as yet. I will most certainly wait and see what pans out over the next few years. Sky are meant to be launching HD this year but it will be a tiny service by all accounts - certainly not worth getting worked up about yet. Save your pennies and spend wisely - we are in a transitional period with TV and you could end up making an expensive mistake. if you are sold on a flat panel get a 32" LCD - they are around a grand to £1,500 now and most give good connectivity, some include HDMI inputs too.