What is best to buy to split a satellite connection

davief1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on what I should buy to give me the best HD picture when splitting a feed from a satellite dish. I currently have 4 cables coming from the dish only 2 of which go into my living room for my blu-ray recorder. My dilemma is I have just bought a new tv which needs another 2 feeds to give me Freesat. Any thoughts from anybody on the best way to do it.

Cheers

There is no best way other than buying enough coax cable to wire the TV back to the 2 presumably unused outputs which at a guess you have on the lnb (You don't say what the other 2 cables are used for). If they are used for something else, change the lnb for a 8 output octo.

Read how a lnb works.

LNB mysteries explained - part 1

Note the bit about splitting the output.

Picture quality doesn't come into it. Digital either works 100% or not at all, with a narrow band in between where the picture periodically breaks down into a pixellated mess (You can't miss this :) )

Analogue is different, as signal quality declines the picture gradually declines into snow.

Freeview/Freesat Digital TV

Last edited:
Where do the other two cables go?!

You two are assuming it is a Sky minidish with Sky lnb (quad as they haven't used duals in over 12 years) but it could just as well be a standard "circular" dish with dual lnb.

@davief1 what type of dish and can you see how many outputs there are on the lnb and how many are actually used?

The other cables are required for tv's in other rooms.

Came across a Wolsey 334057 amplifier, do you think that might work?

You two are assuming it is a Sky minidish with Sky lnb (quad as they haven't used duals in over 12 years) but it could just as well be a standard "circular" dish with dual lnb.

@davief1 what type of dish and can you see how many outputs there are on the lnb and how many are actually used?

It's a quad lnb and they are all being used.

Cheers

The op's post clearly said he had 4 cables coming from the dish

I currently have 4 cables coming from the dish only 2 of which go into my living

So take one out of the recorder and put it into the television.

The op's post clearly said he had 4 cables coming from the dish
But he didn't say whether 'the other two' were in use or not.
So we are now back to buying an octo LNB and some coax for full useability.
What is the TV? If it's a Samsung, the recording functions are pretty useless by 'proper' PVR standards.

But he didn't say whether 'the other two' were in use or not.
So we are now back to buying an octo LNB and some coax for full useability.
What is the TV? If it's a Samsung, the recording functions are pretty useless by 'proper' PVR standards.

That was the question I asked in my first post. Pretty obvious if used a octo would be needed (or a 2nd dish). If not possibility of extending or re-routing existing cabling.

the recorder doesn't work with only 1 cable.
It ought to so check to find out why it doesn't!

TJT1: My Samsung does recordings a lot better than most recorders!

With only one cable attached, strangely the Tv guide displays with up to date info however when i select a channel to watch it diplays "no signal", however even if it worked its not really a solution as i need the 2 cables for the recorder to allow me to record 2 channels at the same time.

That's for the output.
So its back to post #2 for the solution.

I have done that meantime but the recorder doesn't work with only 1 cable.

Make and model of recorder ?

If you want everything to work 100%. you have to bite the bullet and change the lnb and run extra cables.

If you have a Humax satellite pvr, there are ways of using both tuners using a single cable, with some restrictions on 2nd channel recording and 3rd channel viewing.

If you have a Humax Foxsat-hdr you can also use the tuner 1 out to feed a TV again with some restrictions on what you can watch while using the pvr to record.

In both cases you need to understand how a lnb works (see the link in post 2).

Last edited:
Not for what you want to do. Post #2 and link in post #7 (especially this) tell you why not. For stuff to work properly. each tuner needs its own LNB because the tuner sets the frequency band and polarisation of the LNB. Any other tuner connected to the LNB must firstly not try to control it and secondly it can only tune stuff in the same band and polarisation as the controlling tuner has set the LNB to.
TJT1: My Samsung does recordings a lot better than most recorders!
What set? I have a JU 7000 and its recording facilities are dreadful.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Not for what you want to do. Post #2 and link in post #7 (especially this) tell you why not. For stuff to work properly. each tuner needs its own LNB because the tuner sets the frequency band and polarisation of the LNB. Any other tuner connected to the LNB must firstly not try to control it and secondly it can only tune stuff in the same band and polarisation as the controlling tuner has set the LNB to.What set? I have a JU 7000 and its recording facilities are dreadful.

I have a Panasonic TV with twin tuner Freeview and Twin Tuner Freesat tuners, as a pvr it's pathetic.

Even on time shift, it's pretty bad. With two tuners, WTF can't you get the EPG whilst you are timeshifting? Etc. etc.

The link in #15 is not to satellite.

Even on time shift, it's pretty bad. With two tuners, WTF can't you get the EPG whilst you are timeshifting? Etc. etc.

All you can do is set manual timers plus a repeat pattern. Multiple tuners (2 freeview and 2 freetime) simply means you can record any two channels in any combination. TBH I haven't really used the TV as a pvr, so do not know if you can't get the epg while timeshifting.

But the OP is asking if he can use it to split a satellite feed, and it's a UHF dist amp.

But the OP is asking if he can use it to split a satellite feed, and it's a UHF dist amp.

Logi answered that in post 16

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom