1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Bandwidth Limiting???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ShinObiWAN, Dec 31, 2003.

1. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Barcodata 808 and have a HTPC rigged upto it via Port 5 (RGBVH).

I'm curious as to what bandwidth limiting is on this model. Its made available when I adjust the 'sharpness' control, which is normally only used for S-video and composite, when I say this I mean its labelled as bandwidth limiting on the displayed video but is accessed via the sharpness adjust. It only works this way with a PC Input, anything else and it is indeed a sharpness control. Confusing, Yes?

I can describe the effect it has on the picture:

When turned all the way up the picture looks blurred, as if the projector is softening the pixel edges and loosing detail in the picture.
    When its turned all the way down the picture is very sharp and pixel perfect - much the same way as an LCD machine.

Its obvious that the control turned all the way down is the better of the two as the image is incredibly sharp using this.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer to this questions, only Barco seems to have totally ignored the function in its user and installation manuals.

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Bandwidth limiting is effectively a filter which reduces the high frequency component of the picture. I assume it's used to remove any unwanted digital artefacts from the video signal - I'm sure one of the Barco experts will put me right. Computers tend to produce square wave signals and the sharp corners of these squares can cause an effect known as ringing which would manifest itself as interference to the picture. It's a bit like the old tone controls you used to get on audio systems which removed the treble when you turned them down. So I guess in a way it is a sharpness control

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Think about like squeezing a hoze pipe the information is still getting through just not as much of it.

4. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

Understand better now... though what a useless feature!!!