1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is aux input? and can i......?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by arnoldma, Nov 2, 2004.

1. arnoldma

arnoldma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i just realised on my computer sub (w/ 5.1 speakers connected to it) i have a aux input too... and also i have the option to change the input from aux to dvd (my computer uses this dvd input) at a press of a button!

so i was just wondering if i can connect my TV (through scart or just 2 phono) to my sub throught the aux input, so i can change it to aux when i wish to listen to my tv with better sound (i dont care if its not true 5.1)

is this possible? also i would liek to know what aux actually is!...

thanks in advanced.

2. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Aux' stands for auxiliary input. You should be able to hook up your TV (or whatever analogue sound device for that matter) to your sub via the auxiliary jack.

Regards,
    reservoir51

3. arnoldma

arnoldma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do u know where i can buy a scart, or phono to aux cable?

thanks.

4. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try any good hardware store, hi-fi outlets, computer shops etc.

If the 'Aux' jack on your sub is only a single phono jack (eg. like the jacks on computers for headphones, speakers, etc.), you'll need to get the corresponding phono plug which can be connected to the RCA plugs from your TV. There are various adapters which will allow this connection. You can get a Scart-to-RCA cable to connect your TV to the phono plug.

However, bear in mind that sound quality deteriorates the more connections you make.

Regards,
    reservoir51